Register free!

Old 07-28-2008, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what can be done?

ok ive been in the lawn maint. biz for a while now but i ma just getting into the landscaping maint. as new customers are requesting.. i have recently got my license... as of now we are just pulling the weeds which i know has to be done regardless, but is there anything we can spray to help control the weeds that wont harm the plants???
Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In beds?

Is the mulch thick enough? 3-6 inches. (careful around the plants though)

If the plants are established you can use a pre-emergant like preen on top of the mulch.

Also, if you really want to goto town, try to avoid spray irrigation.. drip to each plant to minimize weed seed germination, but if you aren't familiar with it, get an irrigation contractor in there. .
Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, a good layer of mulch is a natural weed preventative. Then hand pull what you have to, as long as you stay on it it should be a small task that only takes a minute or so.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Most spays that kill weeds will also kill good plants. I use Snapshot in the spring and Round-up (carefull) this time of year.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't mean to hi-jack here but I too also have broadband weeds but coming up in the grass so I need to kill the weed without killing the grass

I was told by my lawn care provider to "paint the weeds with round-up" well that just is not an option in my opinion.

I put out (sprayed) two different products yesterday in different area's to see which might work better one was Ortho's Weed B Gon and the other was Spectracide Weed Stop for lawns with crabgrass killer So I'm wondering if this will do the trick or anyone know of anything better,
Old 07-29-2008, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kirk, from the sounds of it the weed be gone will work better then the weed stop. However, I would recommend using a more select herbicide (following integrated pest management). What weeds are they? Can you post some pics?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

are they grassy weeds? look like a kind of grass.. thinner longer blades, or are the broadleaf weeds? big leafs on them.

If they are grassy it will take a while pretty much no matter what you put down... if they are broadleaf for the most part any lawn care company will have something that will take them out in a day or two.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepGreenLawn View Post
are they grassy weeds? look like a kind of grass.. thinner longer blades, or are the broadleaf weeds? big leafs on them.

If they are grassy it will take a while pretty much no matter what you put down... if they are broadleaf for the most part any lawn care company will have something that will take them out in a day or two.
Yes DeepGreen they are broadleaf, and they come up with a center root as you can see in the photo below then they spread out from that center and not only take over but also grow out from that center.

I uploaded these to my webspace as to not loose quality by reducing the image to post them here.

http://home.insightbb.com/~ntldr/IMG_0457.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~ntldr/IMG_0458.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~ntldr/IMG_0459.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~ntldr/IMG_0460.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~ntldr/IMG_0461.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~ntldr/IMG_0462.jpg
Old 07-29-2008, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

nope... that is grassy, maybe nutsedge? I am not sure, I have a lot of that here and it is just about impossible to kill. I have been trying to put renegade on it but to no avail it seems. Maybe someone else will have a better product... Image possibly? Either way, they are EXTREMELY expensive up front, if your a lawn care provider than you may want to get it, if your a home owner, then you might as well hire someone as you will pay A LOT more for the chem than you would for the treatment to kill it. Next year make sure to put down a good pre-m, if you want organic, CGM (Corn Gluten Meal) is about the only organic one there is but it is a little pricy and you have to put down a lot. I just try to grow a good healthy turf and pull weeds such as that while they are still small.

A weed hound works well too... you can get this at HD I believe, others have posted pics, I am too tired to try and mess with that... your going to have to do your own searching on that one... sorry.

Good luck,

Oh, I have one lawn I have been fighting with all summer, now anytime I am in the area I stop to pull weeds for a few minutes. Every little bit helps, this lawn was BAD to start with so I am not in any hurry, I will take care of it next spring with some good pre-m. Then the lawn should be in good enough shape by the end of the year.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

what kind of yard you got there? The pick with your hand on it, the blades almost looks like somekind of crabgrass, or as tree calls it, saint augustine grass (SAG). The purple in the last pics wants me to say the same thing... or those two different weeds?