Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2002, 04:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No, to the contrary, we use them quite a lot here in OR. Many of the cultivars like "firepower", "moon bay" and "moyer's red" are among our favorites. And the nurseries sell hoards of them. I am surprised you didn't see much of them. They are all over. Although the cultivars I mention above are becoming a lot more popular than the original. "Firepower" especially is seen everywhere. From commercial properties to upper end resindential. Next time you visit Oregon let me show you around :-)

But even the largest of the group (the regular Nandina domestica) doesn't particularly lend itself to becoming a hedge. Not a very balanced one anyway. It tends to be more thin at the bottom and bulky only at the top.

I've never seen it made into a hedge in all of my years in the nursery or landscaping biz. But maybe that's just around here. I dunno. Maybe in different climates it behaves differently.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-23-2002, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I did see a lot of Firepower in the Northwest. And there's a lot of it used here. The species nandina is often seen here at older homes in an unkempt state - as you said, thin at the bottom and too full on top. The one's I care for are never sheared. Once a year, usually just before the holidays, I prune out about one- third of the canes, cutting them to the ground. My client's like to have the berries for decoration and the plant's new growth come spring fills in the base.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The original parameter for this hedge was 7-8'. Only the standard nandina gets this tall and only at maturity. Many clients won't wait that long for coverage. A fast-growing planting here is Leyland Cypress. Burford Holly makes a great hedge in sunny locales.