Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2000, 04:58 AM
LawnSite Member

local dealer has unsold toro model 22040. 2 cycle, 4.5 hp, rear bagger. I have not seen mower, he says is commercial model and retails for $899. He wants $570 (cost), has had for 1 yr and wants to get rid of it. Is this mower worth the money. My alternative in commercial grade equipment is Snapper, price $799 for 6 hp 4 cycle rear bagger.
Old 01-13-2000, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Try Lawn-Boy Commercial 2cy 6.5 can bag ,mulch,side discharge. around $600 commercial<p>Ken...Lightcap's Landscape Service<br>
Old 01-13-2000, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

The toro is definitly worth it I bought a new one last year for $779 so far no problems good luck<p>----------<br>Dale Robins owner<br>Southern lawn and Landscape
Old 01-13-2000, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No offense to the other machines, but for 21&quot;, it's Honda hands down. The HRC216 with hydrostatic drive is only $950-$999 at most honda dealers and it is by far the best engineered and most reliable 21&quot; mower on the market. For my money, I wouldn't even consider buying a Toro, given the fact that I could buy a Honda for just a hundred or two more. We've used just about every 21&quot; mower in existence. I waited to use Hondas because they are the most expensive to purchase. But every other mower failed to perform or last in one way or another. So since I finally went with Hondas 3 years ago, I've never once regretted it. <p>Another cool thing about the Hondas is that the dealer will warranty all parts and labor for one year. And if you are like us, mowing 100 yards a week, your mowers are bound to have something go wrong eventually. It's nice to know that it's fixed quickly and for free. <p>One more comment, if I had a choice between a used Honda HRC216 and a new Toro, I'd pick the honda. They are THAT good. <p>----------<br>Jim Lewis - Lewis Landscape Services<br>http://www.lewislandscape.com
Old 01-13-2000, 04:06 PM
Banned

what about those bad trannies on those heavy hong-duhs?plus in seattle hong-duhs leave ruts and 4 cycle sucks on hills! get the 5.5 hp commercial toro (i pick up a lb of N in the summer with the mulch plug in!)
Old 01-13-2000, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a commercial Toro with the Suzuki engine in 1987, it was the best 21&quot; mower I ever had. Then we were using a 21&quot; exclusively. In a couple of years we put well over 2000 hours on it with no trouble other than the transmission. After we started using bigger equipment I saw no need to buy a $900 21&quot; mower, but in 1995 I decided to buy another one. We barely used it and had numerous problems. It was not set up properly by the dealer, but managed to get that straightened out. It, however never had the power or performed like a $900 mower should. In fact its value to me wasn't a 1/4 of that. I think just like everyone else, Toro, once they decided there sales were good enough slacked on the quality control. <p>Maybe you will get a good one and if you really need a 21&quot; $579 is not a bad price. But if you don't really use a 21&quot; that much, don't waste your money, buy a 36&quot;.
Old 01-13-2000, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I would spend the extra and get the new Toro 6.5 hp. If you wan't my opinion, Toro makes the best commercial 21&quot; mower in the business right now. We do over 100 lawns a week with these mowers. I have 4 commercial 21&quot; (4 cycle) Toro mowers; and they last. <p>The 4 cycle engines work fine on hills and these mowers have the most reliable, easiest to fix drive systems on the market. Stay clear of Lawnboy and Snapper.
Old 01-14-2000, 04:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mike the Toro is an excellent choice. I have one and am very pleased with the finish cut and the overall preformance of the machine. If you need more information feel free to e-mail me. Mowman
Old 01-14-2000, 04:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments. I did not intend on purchasing this particular machine until I realized that the dealer was offering a $350 discount just to get rid of it. My perference would be a 4 cycle, but for the savings on a new machine like this, I did not think I could go wrong. Heck, I can probably sell the think for a hundred more than I paid for it!<br>But $540 is still alot of $ and since my 15yr old Snapper finally died, I am without a trim mower.<br>Anybody think I should run from this deal?
Old 01-14-2000, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Richard, <p>I dunno about bad trannies in Hondas. They seem to hold up pretty well for us. Maybe you are referring to the residential models. We have had problems with the trannies in those. But rarely with the commercial ones. <p>As for being heavy, up hills, yah, they are. But almost all the lawns we maintain in Oregon are relatively flat. We have 2 houses with inclined front yards and that's about it. If we had a lot of hills, I'd probably get a lighter mower too for those. They are heavy, I agree. But we never notice because they drive themselves so well. <p>As for ruts in the lawn, I don't really get much of that. Of course, when we mow in the rain there are ruts, but that happens with any mower. And it's always temporary. 2-3 days and they're gone.