Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl Edger Question

I just bought a Stihl straight shaft edger attachment for my KM 90 R KombiMotor, and it looks like it will be a beast. The only problem is, the blade won't turn. The engine runs fine, but the blade dosen't turn.I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow but if you guys could help at all, it might save me a trip.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshprince94 View Post
I just bought a Stihl straight shaft edger attachment for my KM 90 R KombiMotor, and it looks like it will be a beast. The only problem is, the blade won't turn. The engine runs fine, but the blade dosen't turn.I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow but if you guys could help at all, it might save me a trip.
make sure the blade is tight and make sure u got the edger all the way into the kombi head

I am over workd and underpaid but maybe its my own fault
Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did take it to the dealer just to check, the whole thing was misaligned. Apparantly, the factory screwed it up. Oh well, I used it on some accounts and it is a beast! It eats right through thick and wet edges.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Prince, I don't know if your dealer told you or not, but my dealer told me to switch attachments out with the power head in a vertical position. If you switch them out with it laying flat it won't connect.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z View Post
Prince, I don't know if your dealer told you or not, but my dealer told me to switch attachments out with the power head in a vertical position. If you switch them out with it laying flat it won't connect.
Dealer never told me that but I will keep it in mind. Anyways, I actually took your advice about the Kombi and it worked out. I'll post pics of the edger later.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshprince94 View Post
Dealer never told me that but I will keep it in mind. Anyways, I actually took your advice about the Kombi and it worked out. I'll post pics of the edger later.
I'm glad you like the Kombi system, I'm loving my KM 130. What's up with your dealer though? When I bought my KM 130 my dealer went over how to install the attachments with me as I've never had one before. When I bought my first saw I was shown how and how not to start it.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the stihl Kombi 110, bought the trim head edger and blower, trim head and edger worked flawlessly but went through 2 blowers not working at the dealer, she finally made an adjustment to the machine where the shaft comes out of the motor (extended it out just a hair) and it has worked flawlessly since.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z View Post
I'm glad you like the Kombi system, I'm loving my KM 130. What's up with your dealer though? When I bought my KM 130 my dealer went over how to install the attachments with me as I've never had one before. When I bought my first saw I was shown how and how not to start it.
My dealer is great, but I bought the Kombi as a hedge trimmer intending to use it for that purpose only, so he didn't help me hook it up. And i forgot the motor when I went to buy the edger

Overall I am really liking Stihl products.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Prince......are you doing field test on various edging devices? See post about edgeit, you got a 265 and a 210. It really is very very simple to cut an edge just like in the picture with that 265 trimmer with the guard off. New workers learn how in less than a month.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Prince......are you doing field test on various edging devices? See post about edgeit, you got a 265 and a 210. It really is very very simple to cut an edge just like in the picture with that 265 trimmer with the guard off. New workers learn how in less than a month.
I have edged with a trimmer before and I don't like how it looks. My customers expect me to use an edger, and my edging is part of what sets me off from the competition. Edgers are most popular in Florida and the deep south, where most guys cutting the thinner grassed can use a trimmer.