Register free!

Old 07-31-2008, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Member

How to do-it-himself

I received a call today from a new potential customer about a quote that I left for spraying his yard. His bermuda lawn is covered in bahia grass. He left me a message and said he didn't have much money and couldn't pay for the treatment that I quoted--$79. He wants me to call him and tell him how to do it himself.

It struck me that he wants me to give him what I'm trying to sell. Am I looking at this wrong? It's not like I even know the guy. He was referred by his next door neighbor--a current customer of mine.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always help do it yourselfers.. They usually don't do it themselves for long.. it's not like they save any money after figuring their higher chem cost, + gasoline to go get it.. + equipment purchases + the amount of time they have to spend on it.. then add the mistakes that they ARE going to make..

But keep your help vauge.. Tell them what chem you use.. especially if it's restricted.. but tell them to read the label on how to use it.. and always end the conversation with a nice "If you need ANY help at all, please call me.."

I also offer them on site counseltations as needed for $45 per 30 minutes..
Old 07-31-2008, 04:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayholio View Post
I always help do it yourselfers.. They usually don't do it themselves for long.. it's not like they save any money after figuring their higher chem cost, + gasoline to go get it.. + equipment purchases + the amount of time they have to spend on it.. then add the mistakes that they ARE going to make..

But keep your help vauge.. Tell them what chem you use.. especially if it's restricted.. but tell them to read the label on how to use it.. and always end the conversation with a nice "If you need ANY help at all, please call me.."

I also offer them on site counseltations as needed for $45 per 30 minutes..
Same here. Many times it turns into a new sale.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd help him out, but be nice, and qualify that the material to treat his turf would cost him $230/pint (Dismiss), Image, Simazine or whatever chem you prefer....you might gain a client. There's not too many people will pay for something that they're not sure of in reguards to mixing and applications. State that price first--and remember, first impressions are lasting impressions. The first rule of business. Second rule of business--everyone has a little calculator running in their mind. Roy
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Usually I can tell if someone is just trying to pick my brain for info and have no intention of hiring you and when someone wants to hire but really can't afford it but wants to do something.

If it's the first case, they're not getting anything out of me. If it's the second case I'll follow the previous posts.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

try to come to an agreement on w price thats acceptable for him. im not saying low ball yourself. but it wouldnt hurt to see if maybe you could start with a front only application. maybe skip one during the season by spacing apps out an extra week in between. rec: he try some of the cheaper, simpler idiot-proof stuff like lime by himself.

i wouldn't act like its a lost sale. and even if it is, he'll remember you made the extra effort and (unless hes lowballed and money is the #1 issue) and probably call you back in the future.

when it comes to sales remember glengarry glenross and always be closing. a sale isn't dead until communication is over.