Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can you guys help??

We were using my dump druck yesterday, and didn't realize that I blew about 1 to 1.5 quarts of Tranny Fluid (recomended for the electric pump) out of the breather cap. It got on the Asphalt drive and I busted out the shop towels and soaked it up the best I could.

I haven't talked to the owner yet, but if I need to, I'll need to get the spot cleaned up a little better if I can. Can I just power wash it, and use a little soap, or is it about worthless on Asphalt. I was thinking about just leaving it considering Asphalt is Oil.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

oil

put some oil dry on it let it set for awhile to pull as much as you can to not have to wash it off into the surrounding area ,if it is in a area not traveled very much try to cover it up with a small weighted tarp to keep it from blowing around ,to give it a chance to work ,and then pick it up .
Old 07-31-2008, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Even a kitty litter that is softer than oil dry will help. I did it when an auger drive hydro line blew on a new asphalt road. Made a real mess but the kitty litter helped. I spread some sand over it, brushed it with a broom and it looked pretty good after that.

Does anyone know if a cleaner/degreaser and brush would help him?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Automatic transmission fluid is very detergent it will eat the asphalt the best thing to try is take a tiger torch and burn the ATF out of the pavement. Degreasers will just remove more oil. I have a big mess in my famillies yard I spilled a gallon of diesel by accident doing my fuel filter. It screwed up the asphalt driveway so now I need to dig out the loose stuff and fill in the hole with cold patch I have no choice.

Good luck asphalt driveways are not easy to fix with oil damage especially if its not sealed.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

try "greased lightning" or "oil eater" we use it on drives if we ever drip and a homeowner complains...put it on there, scrub it a little and power wash it right out
Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, thanks for all the replies. When the spill happened, I used shop towls, and when I thought I got the worst of it, I wadded up a few more towls and rolled them over the spot to get the worst in the the "pits" of the driveway. After that I hosed it off about 4-6 different times to help lift what was left.

I talked to the owner, he said he was planning on sealing the drivway again this summer, so I think I'm not going to worry about it. My main concern was the shiny spot left in one area, and if he's going to seal it, then it will all blend in good.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You can use a powedered detergent like tide and just leave it on the spot and when it rains it will get rid of all of it.