Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

ordering a quickie-suggestions?

I am about to order a quickie 32 that i've heard so much about. This will be my back yard mower not primary. Any suggestions? Should I get the step saver...doesn't seem neccessary as it will be used in back yards only. Motor..is 13.5 briggs enough? I'm not a briggs fan, but I will not be putting many hours on it, so I don't think it will crap out too fast on me, opinions? And is pull starting these machines okay, or should I go electric? And, does this mean I can get rid of my 21" or should I keep it for back up?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i'd go 36" if i was you. i found that a 32 doesnt really save you that much time over a 21.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For my money, I'd pony up to the 15 hp KAW - it's a world away from Briggs; and as this will not be your primary mower, spend the ~$200 you saved forgoing the electric start elsewhere.

'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically. Carried out, it finally amounts to this, which also I believe — 'That government is best which governs not at all.' ~ Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-31-2008, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

you think its worth the extra 300 for kaw...considering its a backup, jameson? btw...awesome mark twain quote. reminds me of a speech reagan gave.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

lawnwizards...they say the quick 36 is actually more like 38.5 with discharge chute off, i have a gate that is only 38" wide, so im probably going with the 32.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLag View Post
lawnwizards...they say the quick 36 is actually more like 38.5 with discharge chute off, i have a gate that is only 38" wide, so im probably going with the 32.
is that with the chute down or up? i have this gated yard thats 48" and i can squeeze my 48 that measures 49" in there barely. anyway, i think you will be happy with either choice. i think if you take care of it a b&s will last you a long time and i wouldnt worry about the electric start or stepsaver either. goodluck.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

thats with the chute off...with it on and up its 39.5". do ya'll think a 13.5 briggs will tow me around weighing about 240lbs?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 32" with Briggs engine. Enough power for yards I've done. I only use it for back yards with small gates. I thought I wouldn't need my 21" anymore, but the Quick is not that good on slopes and ditches. My 36" walk behind Exmark is better on slopes. The Quick single hydro is OK for flat small yards, but I think it will wear you out if using for a primary mower. It feels like it is pulling to the the right all the time like a grocery cart with a wheel that doesn't work right. It should be alright if just using for backup mower for back yards with a small gate.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

do you think it pulls b/c of the motor being weak?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the Quickie 32 Samurai™ 16 HP. Has plenty of power. Yes I still use my 21" to trim areas where the Quickie won't go. 95% of the time the quickie is all we need. You will learn to trim for the quickie. This is the key to get away from the 21". This is my wife's primary machine. This machine slides through gates effortlessly.