Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Fertilizing in Hot Temps

I am wondering if some of you could give me some of your general guidelines for applying granular fertilizers in hot temperatures. For example I have a lesco 24-0-11 50% slow release that I want to put down next week but the temps are going to be in the low 90's. Any wisdom will be appreciated! Thanks a lot!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

If the lawn is "actively" growing you shouldn't have any problem (If the lawn is already dormant due to lack of moistue I would wait)

The key to the fert is the % of slow release and 50% slow release is great----we use the same fert and have great results in Aug.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Caution - We are in Columbia MD, I have heard triple digits next week. It will be site specific, if there is irrigation no issues, but you might want put a "please water in" note on the other sites.

If they don't you lose a customer or 2, you may want to think about reducing the rates, with the soil well over 70 degrees the NPK will be available pretty darn quick
Old 08-02-2008, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

using same product in the heat but down to half lb per 1000sf good results and bag goes a long way $$$$$$$$
Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj22 View Post
using same product in the heat but down to half lb per 1000sf good results and bag goes a long way $$$$$$$$
What results do you see? This is less than 1/8 lb. of N per 1000. (Maybe cool season grasses are different.)
Old 08-02-2008, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I should have asked this question earlier, what type of grass typically?probably bermuda and St Augustine, both have different needs

When soils are warm like now the microbes are very active, when you apply a little NPK they gobble it up and make it plant available very quickly, so you can use less and still see good to great results, but the application does not last as long either
Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondcoleman View Post
I am wondering if some of you could give me some of your general guidelines for applying granular fertilizers in hot temperatures. For example I have a lesco 24-0-11 50% slow release that I want to put down next week but the temps are going to be in the low 90's. Any wisdom will be appreciated! Thanks a lot!
Salt Index that are higher in some ferts as well as Chloride as in Potassium Chloride can really cause a burn-up issue quick!

See if you can get that 24-0-11 50% PPSCU with Potassium Sulfate, in place of the Potassium Chloride, If you MUST apply in HOT Temps.

OR have clients apply 1/2" of irrigation AS SOON as you are done blowing off the Sidewalk/Driveway, to lower/dilute, the salt concentration of the applied fert.

Pete
Old 08-02-2008, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman099 View Post
What results do you see? This is less than 1/8 lb. of N per 1000. (Maybe cool season grasses are different.)
I think he meant 1/2 lb nitrogen per K.