Register free!

Old 01-20-2002, 04:00 AM
LawnSite Member

sprinkler main line

I have been told that you should have your main line one size larger than your laterals. If this is correct why so and what if your poc is 3/4 and you want to you 3/4 laterials. Also what should your sprinkler valve size be the size of the main line or the laterials
Old 01-21-2002, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Main lines and laterals are sized according to required flow in GPM, and allowable friction loss. There are NO rules regarding the size of the main vs. laterals. Since yuou didn't know this you probably shouldn't attempt what ever is on your mind. If it is a curiosity question fine.

But in any case, if your gonna do something, go take some design classes. A sprinkler system done as it is supposed to be, is engineered, not just put together. There is a lot to know.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

hey buddy,
I've never tooken a class yet in sprinklers but havent had any problems or dry spots I think you use take a class in .......
Old 01-26-2002, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

myapologies

for being a little hard nosed. Here in NJ I find people all the time selling things they don't know jack about and messing up systems. I do 10's of thousands of $ in repair and alteration work on systems installed or repaired by those that have not studied design engineering. This season is my 31st. being self employed.

Although I do apologize for the personal assumptions I do stand by my irrigation statements!
Old 01-26-2002, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey HB, that was a little rough, why don't you try being a little thankful for the people who do it wrong! How else are you going to do 10's of Thousands in repairs/renovations? I know I am thankful that there are many LCO's and homeowners who do it themselves. Without them, my companies growth would be stymied a little.
Old 01-27-2002, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Member

In my area the water meters are all 5/8 or 3/4 but im only have done Residential homes. I just saw something on the internet about you should use one size up from your laterials and i know im not going to ever use 1/2 inch laterials. Just want to know if i should investgate any futher in this and yes I already know I should take a few class but I do not have the time at this point. I can say I havent screwed sprinkler system up yet but I do want to learn more.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To make life easy we use nothing smaller than 1" pipe for main and laterals.

Our meters go from 5/8 to 1" standard and water pressure from from the 20's to 80's of pounds. We do lots of private wells with pumps from 1/2 to 3 horse and ponds lakes and streams with 1-3 horse pumps. I'm talking residential.

Go to the hunter website and download their residential sprinkler system design handbook or order one or get one from a distributor. It is an excellent place to start on your own. And don't change what they tell you to do because some counter guy or other no nothing says youdon't have to do that!

Just because you think you haven't screwed anything up diesn't mean you built the most effective or water efficient or cost efficient system. There is a ton to know about soils, precipitation rates and more. Hunter also has many other publications available and there is good info in their catalog.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the fox has spoke

Mr Fox
it seems to me that you are in business to do quality work. I commend you for your responses on this site. But because of guys that are do it yourselfers at heart and decide they can do this as a business you generate 10k in business volume fixing there mistakes. Why would you knock it seems to me your making a decent living from it. It is nothing more than entreprenurial spirit ... Thanks again for all the great posts
SSSSSEEEEEEEEEE ya
Old 01-27-2002, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why do I respond or care

It's a character flaw. Your right, I should kick'em while they are down or keep my mouth shut. Instead, I hate to see customers bamboozled by contractors doing things out of ignorance bordering dishonesty. But it seems like the two are happy together, so who am I to say these two parties can not wed.

Guess I figure if I can save a few guys from themselves, improve the industry and it trickles down to the consumer, my life isn't totally wasted.
Old 01-28-2002, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Member

well this current job im doing the water meter is 5/8 and has about 110 psi. What size pipe (main line laterals) would use and what size valves. From the poc to the furthest head is about 120 feet.