Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2002, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Man I wish I lived in MA so I could make a little money fixing systems up there. I hear there is a guy up there designing sprinkler systems and basing the pipe size used on pressure! And he thinks he can slow down the velocity of the water by using bigger pipe!

I have an idea! Since you are using 1 1/4 mainline coming off of what is probably a 5/8" meter, why don't you max out the valves too. Hey I know, why not use 1 1/2 inch valves, 1 1/4 inch laterals and push about 30 gallons per minute (or more) on each valve. Using your logic there will be no velocity, no water hammer, and the lawn should look great.

Aqua, I am sure you are a talented man and good at what you do. But, before you join the ranks of the irrigation professionals, perhaps you should do some studying. HB has 30 years on ya and I have 20. No offense to ya, sure you are trying to help.

Baaya, I'm sure if you wanted to know exactly what to do, you could email all the pertinent info to either HB or myself and we could help. So far you have not given us enough. There is more that needs to be told prior to designing a system. Much more. I will be glad to help, if you give me all the info!

Nice to see ya over on the dark side Chuck!
Old 01-31-2002, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tony,

I have been here all along, been following this thead since the start and LMAO real ineresting some of the advice you can get here (If you follow it could lead to trouble)
Old 01-31-2002, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chuck

And when you give good advice and places to learn and get info you get trashed.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cmon HB, who would trash you? Let me at 'em..............
Old 02-04-2002, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

you guys are relentless!

Look who cares about 110 psi? it only takes 30 @ head to make the things do what the mfg'r in calif says their going to do @ 30 psi! @ 110 psi your going to try to have a cold water miser in these peoples lawn. Look take a Hunter cat. or even a weathermatic, or Rainbird for sakes look at the tech specs in the back! I don't rmember if it shows loss thru meters or not. Whatever it says only design the system @ 60% of that capacity. Who cares if it's 1" 1.25" or 1.5" main line! Go 1.25" as avg. for anything up to 80psi. I knw psi doesn't matter, psi i just guide to start. Flow, gpm's, static pressure, and dynabic prssure, rate of flow, and friction loss. these are thing yo need to understan to truly design an efficient system. So when a custome asks you how long should I water? YOU say hmmmm...your Precipitation rate is this... yoursoil is this... so you should water about an inch per wk so.... water this long tis many times pre week! There. As far as laterals go... pipe size depends on how mush water is actually flowing through that specific peice of pipe once the system is engaged. YOu can install an entire system w/ just 1/2' if you wanted as long as the flow of water through that pipe does nt exceed it's capcity. That' my soap box! My wife's 7mos prego and now i have nothing else to do in my extra free time! SO......go get some education like I did!
motivatedmaintenance.com

Last edited by motivated1; 02-04-2002 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

You know in all truth ireally wish i never asked the question. My system runs great no water hammer great coverage. Also picked the neighbor next store for a new lawn and sprinkler system this sytem I'm using 1/8 inch mainline with 1/16 laterals think it will work?
Old 02-05-2002, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Member

1/8 inch

I'm sure it will be.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You never answerd the question are you License?
Old 02-05-2002, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bayaa license

Chuck, the silence is deafening.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re: Bayaa license

Quote:
Originally posted by HBFOXJr
Chuck, the silence is deafening.
Yes i know the silence speaks volumes!!