Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-08-2008, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the only 2 cycle I use in my equipment. I used to use John Deere Premium FC rated synthetic blend and it would fill up the spark arrestor in no time.

93 octane and Stihl ultra HP. I am also fussy with the brand of fuel I use, Marathon or Sunoco are all I will fill my 2 cycle tanks with.

I may use Hess or Citgo sometimes for my mowers but it is not an emergency for me to wait and get the right fuel for my handheld gear.

Haven't had a plugged spark arrestor since before Mothers day.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfme View Post
I found some interesting literature on the HP Ultra oil. Stihl did a 500 hour engine test and compare it to other oils (although it does not say what brand they are) The Hp Ultra seems to keep the engine internals pretty clean.

http://www.dhequipment.com/Stihl_inf...yOilScreen.pdf
I have no doubt that Stihl ultra is quality oil, but when a manufacturer performs it's own tests, the "objectivity" is limited. Any idea why it does'nt meet JASO-FD standards?

It's just that these overstatements tend to back fire. I mean, take a look at the piston and exhaust valve. They look like they just rolled of the production line. If I pulled an exhaust valve that clean out of a 500hr engine, I would fell of my chair.
Attached Images

Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 12-09-2008, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I switched to the Stihl HP Ultra oil and run it in all my Stihl products - Backpack blower, String Trimmer, Edger and Chain Saw....I definitely saw a difference. My equipment starts up right away. I'm a believer! I would definitely use it in all their 4 mix motors.
Sthil FC110 Edger
Sthil MS 250 Chain Saw
Agri-Fab 125lb Spreader
Jacobsen Power Edger
Excell 2400 PSI Pressure Washer
Ariens 1024 Snow Thrower
Karavan 6X12 Galvanized Trailer
Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post
I have no doubt that Stihl ultra is quality oil, but when a manufacturer performs it's own tests, the "objectivity" is limited. Any idea why it does'nt meet JASO-FD standards?

It's just that these overstatements tend to back fire. I mean, take a look at the piston and exhaust valve. They look like they just rolled of the production line. If I pulled an exhaust valve that clean out of a 500hr engine, I would fell of my chair.
What's funny is they didn't show the valve that was tested with Amsoil. I was told by Stihl rep that there was a reason for that. Wonder what that reason is
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmsoilPower View Post
What's funny is they didn't show the valve that was tested with Amsoil. I was told by Stihl rep that there was a reason for that. Wonder what that reason is
Do you have a scientific engine test with Amsoil? I would be very curious to see one as I have not been able to find it.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilov View Post

I had the same question. Therefore, I decided to contact them and ask them about the famous JASO-FD certification.

The JASO-FC and FD (JASO stands for Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) certifications were created to reduce visible exhaust smoke as required by certain Southeast Asian countries with high pollution problems. Having a certification for low visible smoke is great as long as the testing parameters are specific for the 2-cycle engine tested. The certification for JASO-FD does not test engines designed for hand-held power equipment but instead they perform their low smoke tests on a specific Suzuki generator. A 2-cycle hand-held equipment engine runs at much higher rpms, temperature and tougher environments than a stationary generator. Therefore, their priority was to formulate an oil that meets the high demands in lubrication, detergency, performance and durability of their application engines. Even though an oil with a JASO-FD certification can claim low smoke and high detergency, the certification provides no warranty for proper lubrication and protection against piston scuffing and adequate detergency required by a 2-cycle hand-held power equipmentl engine. They said the Stilh HP Ultra oil is the best they make and it meets the JASO FB and API TC/TC+ which are rigorous standards on their own. However, these standards do not test demanding 2-cycle engines such as the one in a chainsaw. Stihl does.

My personal take is that there are many high performance synthetic oils out there that are great for hand-held power equipment. If you have any questions contact the manufacturers directly so you can make your own judgement. Since I already trusted Stihl by buying their products, I trust the oil they formulated to engineer and validate their products.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm. I may look into this oil next time I get low. I just bought two cases of Husqvarna 2-cycle though.

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 12-09-2008, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it's good oil.

Personally I would not break in new equipment on synthetic oil though.

I will not argue why or why not as I said it's just a personal thing. I break in all new equipment on dyno oil, then switch to fully synthetic.

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 10-12-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rant

I have been using Stihl ultra the past month to try it out.

It does not burn nearly as clean at the Castrol RS it replaced. Both hedge trimmers started smoking in confined spaces more than usual, one was fouling plugs and gummed up the exhaust port.

I can't say if it's all due to oil or something with the equipment but Stihl ultra is just not worth the hype.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been using Red Armor oil with great results

http://www.redarmoroil.com/Shindaiwa.aspx