Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
You will still need to do something to preserve it as it will still go stale after a few weeks. Non ethanol fuel only takes care of half the problem. It will still have a short shelf life. Hence the reason I go for Avgas, long shelf life AND ethanol free.
Agree with everything else posted here but this. Ethanol free pump gas stored properly is good for a solid year easy. Two under most circumstances, but one to play it safe. It is the Ethanol that is so unstable as to cause the short shelf life. Straight 89+ ethanol free is quite stable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would like a straight forward answer to the question below from you guys that know about different types of oil:

Which is better? Opti-2 or the stihl ultra?
What benifits/differences would I noticed by using the better oil?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Agree with everything else posted here but this. Ethanol free pump gas stored properly is good for a solid year easy. Two under most circumstances, but one to play it safe. It is the Ethanol that is so unstable as to cause the short shelf life. Straight 89+ ethanol free is quite stable.
Posted via Mobile Device
This was my understanding as well
Old 10-23-2013, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Just sayin, I have a supercharged vehicle that will protest immediately to any kind of fuel issue. She is tuned to have little tolerance for bad fuel.
I keep 93 octane pump ethanol fuel in it for several months at a time with no protests. Mind you its a sealed system and I keep it as full as I can. As an example of how much it sits, she is a 2005 with only 65k miles on her. You guys are scaring me.

Anyways, my Stihl Trimmer FS85X, and the BR600 Magnum blower and my other blower and mowers will start getting the recommended treatment posted here. The non-ethanol fuel and the draining for long term inactivity.

My mowers seem OK but an Echo hand held blower has been protesting, and the trimmer has become a real pain to start and she will not idle well no matter what adjustments. I have a carb coming for her and perhaps blame it all on my fuel practices.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Somehow this turned into another "ethanol thread". Sorry for my contribution to "run it off track".

As to the OP's question: yes Stihl Ultra is good oil. Many swear by it. Never heard anyone swear at it. It is Jaso FB rated. So not as good as FD rated oils, but designed specifically to burn clean in Stihl's 4-mix engines. In other words, I'd run it if I was a 4-mix guy (probably in everything). If I didn't have 4-mix machines, I'd stick to an FD rated oil such as Red armor, Echo oil or Redmax (or whatever FD rated oil was locally available).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
I would like a straight forward answer to the question below from you guys that know about different types of oil:

Which is better? Opti-2 or the stihl ultra?
What benifits/differences would I noticed by using the better oil?
Posted via Mobile Device
You'll get opinions. Here's mine: I prefer the Stihl Ultra...though I had no issues with Opti-2. I'm solo, so I'm not buying in mega-bulk to save money.

Really, the only 2-stroke oil I've ever had an issue with was Maruyama's...which you must buy WITH your Maruyama equip purchase to receive the extended 5-yr warranty. It is probably great oil for their equip...but my other 2-stroke equip definitely protested with carbon chunks found in the sparkplug gaps. (Will surmise/guess that Maruyama's have a catalytic converter in the exhaust/muffler requiring an additional additive/treatment...though I could be WAY off base on this.)
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So what's the difference in price between the opti-2 and ultra?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-23-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Valk- you brought up a good point just there with your comment about CC's.

My Stihl BR380 has a CC in the muffler. I use Saber, and everything from port to exhaust screen is clean enough to eat off of. That's another reason I like Saber. I like the HP, but it is too expensive and the Saber actually adds a little power since you are burning more gas and less oil per firing of the cylinder.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
So what's the difference in price between the opti-2 and ultra?
Posted via Mobile Device
Around me, not much if any. Opti dealers seem very proud of their product in my area.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wish I had taken a picture, but after cleaning the exhaust ports on both hedge trimmers I'm not looking at Stih'l Ultra again.

These seem to have the most problems, first one is a maruyama and the second a husqvarna with basically the same engine. When working in confined spaces, the engines breathe their own exhaust making them smoke. And both do it much worse on Ultra than other oils.

I doubt the oil itself is that bad, but it seems to be designed exclusively for the 4-MIX to address it's lack of exhaust valve lubrication.

In any case Motul 710 or Castrol TTS have worked much better for and are cheaper.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601