Register free!

Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro1207 View Post
Use Q4 from PBI Gordon. This is a combination of Trimec & Drive. You will not experience the browning you get from the MSMA in the plus and get better control of crabgrass and other summer annuals
does it get nutsedge also i like t plus for broadleaf weeds crab grass and nutsedge
Old 08-13-2008, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
does it get nutsedge also i like t plus for broadleaf weeds crab grass and nutsedge
It will get nutsedge also but doesn't touch spurge. I had spuge growing on a crabgrass plant and it browned the crab but the spurge was un-fazed.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a property that I'm going to use this on tomorrow. How soon can I over seed after I apply? The back yard is 25% 75% weeds, front yard is not to bad just thin on grass maybe 10% weeds. Also is the right approach for what I have described?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by philk17088 View Post
It will get nutsedge also but doesn't touch spurge. I had spuge growing on a crabgrass plant and it browned the crab but the spurge was un-fazed.
You need an ester to kill spurge. Or high dicamba. In cool season grass, Turflon ester is what I would be using. In warm season grass, Speedzone. I never bothered with PBI Gordon products on spurge infestations until they came out with Speedzone. I would get better results from 1 lb 2,4-D ester and 8 oz Banvel.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Green,
I am doing some tests with spurge. Very tough weed, especially in the mature stage when it goes to seed. I am using Lesco Eliminate(MCPA, triclopyr, dicamba) in a hand sprayer, with silicone wetting agent or crop oil. If you soak it down good the--spurge turns brown--but sometimes so does the grass.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its the triclopyr giving you the kill and the high dose applied as a spot treatment. I cannot leave spots in the lawn or use triclopyr on most grasses except for zoysia. The other option especially in hot weather, is 1/2 oz metsulfuron(Blade). You cannot do this one on many cool season grasses, but it it the best on st augustine and centipede.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E & J Pro Turf View Post
I have a property that I'm going to use this on tomorrow. How soon can I over seed after I apply? The back yard is 25% 75% weeds, front yard is not to bad just thin on grass maybe 10% weeds. Also is the right approach for what I have described?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any thoughts on this question on Trimec Plus?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry EJ,
back to the original question. IMHO skip the Trimec Plus--too late for crabgrass control, as it is almost mature and going to seed. Let frost kill it and use two applications of crabgrass control next spring. For now, apply regular Trimec at the maximum rate, with a wetting agent added for better coverage. You are supposed to wait a couple weeks before seeding--but I suspect that you can go ahead after a couple good rounds of irrigation. Mow as short as possible and (aerate if possible or power rake if possible) apply starter fert, then drop the seed. Keep it wet. When night temp hits 40--crabgrass stops growing. Apply a good fertilizer to speed up the seed. Apply fert again at frost(which kills crab). Again about 3 weeks later. Let us know how it came out. of course you may receive conflicting advice--that is what a forum is about.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

The directions state over seeding can be done 3 weeks after application.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Sorry EJ,
back to the original question. IMHO skip the Trimec Plus--too late for crabgrass control, as it is almost mature and going to seed. Let frost kill it and use two applications of crabgrass control next spring. For now, apply regular Trimec at the maximum rate, with a wetting agent added for better coverage. You are supposed to wait a couple weeks before seeding--but I suspect that you can go ahead after a couple good rounds of irrigation. Mow as short as possible and (aerate if possible or power rake if possible) apply starter fert, then drop the seed. Keep it wet. When night temp hits 40--crabgrass stops growing. Apply a good fertilizer to speed up the seed. Apply fert again at frost(which kills crab). Again about 3 weeks later. Let us know how it came out. of course you may receive conflicting advice--that is what a forum is about.
Thanks for the input Riggle. I will let you know how it works out. I put an application down yesterday. Thanks Again!!!!!