Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stupid question, but it has to be asked.

I have a guy I subcontract work from and he uses all 21" toro ProLine mowers to do homeowners associations. We're talking 98 lawns in one homeowners association, and 140+ lawns at the other. I have a 34" Dixon Black Bear with a mulching kit and gator blades attached. This thing can move at around 6-7 mph and is rated at 2.2acres an hour. I know the acres per hour is inflated, because that is in ideal conditions with flat land and minimal obstacles. So lets say I can do 1 acre per hour with my machine.

I have offered to help him since I have this machine and his crew is growing smaller by the day. I figured since I am already there might as well help him out and make some extra dough. So what I am getting at is what do you think a fair hourly rate for the use of my machine on these properties would be? Keep in mind I can do the work of 2 maybe 3 of his guys on 21's, plus it will free those guys up to trim/blow etc. His guys are working at $10 an hour. I have a rate in my head that I think would be fair, I just need to see if I am somewhat close. Thanks in advance!

Sac

3+ years going strong.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 x labor pay. Pay you, pay for your machine. He buys gas too.

GL
Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would charge him what I would normally charge any other customer to the same job....it should have nothing to do with what he pays his workers.....let him figure out the rest and pass the cost on to the customer being that you are doing sub-work for him,,,JMO

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
Old 08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I would charge him what I would normally charge any other customer to the same job....it should have nothing to do with what he pays his workers.....let him figure out the rest and pass the cost on to the customer being that you are doing sub-work for him,,,JMO
Good Answer!

Dave...
Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
I like that idea, I really do. I try and make $1 per minute, however that doesn't seem reasonible for the job that I'm doing. I would say $40 an hour is reasonable though?

3+ years going strong.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a lot of pushmowing, I hope he bid that profitably.

Anyway, since you have to take your truck, trailer, rider and self to the jobsite, you have to account for Time, Gas/Fuel, insurance of vehicle/business/etc.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I cut as a subcontractor and charge about 70% of my normal rate. This is billed straight through from my leaving home until I return. It works out for me... maybe not for somebody else. I do have a waiver of liability signed by the person I sub for!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge $70 an hr for me, truck an equipment, an one guy. Ill do whatever you want me to, clock starts when I leave my house and I want a check at the end of the day. Works out fine for me and the few people I have done it for in the past.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticLandscape View Post
I charge $70 an hr for me, truck an equipment, an one guy. Ill do whatever you want me to, clock starts when I leave my house and I want a check at the end of the day. Works out fine for me and the few people I have done it for in the past.
around here, subs dont start getting paid until they reach the job site.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnsac View Post
I have a guy I subcontract work from and he uses all 21" toro ProLine mowers to do homeowners associations. We're talking 98 lawns in one homeowners association, and 140+ lawns at the other. I have a 34" Dixon Black Bear with a mulching kit and gator blades attached. This thing can move at around 6-7 mph and is rated at 2.2acres an hour. I know the acres per hour is inflated, because that is in ideal conditions with flat land and minimal obstacles. So lets say I can do 1 acre per hour with my machine.

I have offered to help him since I have this machine and his crew is growing smaller by the day. I figured since I am already there might as well help him out and make some extra dough. So what I am getting at is what do you think a fair hourly rate for the use of my machine on these properties would be? Keep in mind I can do the work of 2 maybe 3 of his guys on 21's, plus it will free those guys up to trim/blow etc. His guys are working at $10 an hour. I have a rate in my head that I think would be fair, I just need to see if I am somewhat close. Thanks in advance!

Sac
I'm not connecting with something here, this guy has 238 lawns to do and has only bought 21" push mowers? WTF?