Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't mind picking up small items such as dog toys or kids toys...becasue they don't know when I'm coming.

But I am not going to move, picnic tables, Trampolines (sp) or larger items. They just get sprayed around!

I will spot spray around them...but not going to move them!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

argh-- Dog Shat!

my number 2 all time pet peeve

it pisses me off far worse than the toys and debris all over
the lawn
Old 08-09-2008, 04:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
I don't mind picking up small items such as dog toys or kids toys...becasue they don't know when I'm coming.

But I am not going to move, picnic tables, Trampolines (sp) or larger items. They just get sprayed around!

I will spot spray around them...but not going to move them!
I do not mind picking up and setting aside small things either. I always ask myself:"how would I feel if the professional applicator sprayed all over my dog's chew toy or my kid's ball". For me, there would be a first and last time of that happening. Someone that callous probably lacks the judgement to hold an applicator's license. Big stuff like playsets or trampolines get sprayed around and if I am spraying trees in the yard, they will get covered. I have very good communication with all of my clients. There is no problem with me asking them to cover things or move things that must not get sprayed.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My type of clientele usually does not have young children or pets either. Their lawn and landscape is their pet and child. Someone with kids all over and a dog normally is not interested in keeping their lawn in show condition. That is how it works out in Green Hawaii. People have an idea of what it takes and have made the choice not to expose their family to the chemicals.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I always ask myself:"how would I feel if the professional applicator sprayed all over my dog's chew toy or my kid's ball"
Had a guy last year who had a very small backyard - maybe 1.5M. ALWAYS completely covered in toys. I always did my best to clean it up, much as I resented the customer for failing to do so when he KNEW I was coming...

Anyhow, last year he calls me up and cusses me out like he has Tourrettes b/c I missed one and sprayed a dog chew toy. Oops.

He's the first spraying customer I've ever just, flat out, quit on... I understand where he's coming from, but I don't make anywhere NEAR enough to tolerate that type of abuse...
Old 08-10-2008, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No one talks to me like that and retains me as their lawn care professional. I am being nice when I send them a notice of cancellation. It has not happened to me since becoming self-employed, but I remember the kind of clients my former employer associated with. One foul mouth SOB had the phone slammed on him. He should be so lucky that I did not know where lived and the fact that I was someone's employee at the time.