Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2008, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pool Lighting

Ok so i got a pool area im lighting up next week, and i need fixtures to be pretty close to the pool, i heard this is ok if i get a water safe trans yes? Help on this would be great. out of all my light jobs i havent had one THIS close to a pool.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

No lights in or within 5ft of a body of water designed for human use PERIOD! If it is within 5-10ft then the fixture has to be grounded. Article 680 of the NEC was not written with LV in mind so there is grey area here. The best you can do is install fixtures OK for wet location or submersible, and utilize a Pool and Spa rated transformer on a GFCI bubble protected outlet. Before doing anything I would consult with your inspector to verify your plans and what he is going to require to pass inspection. In most cases the inspectors will understand this and pass inspection seeing that you are taking proper precaution and using a Pool and Spa rated unit which provides additional ground protection. Being that our systems are 2 wire we have to rely ont he transformers for our protection. Also explain your use of secondary fuse protection at your Hubs.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To make things simple you could use fiberoptic or a pool light that doesnt have thermal protection. They are tough to find but there are couple out there. Check with Nexxus lighting on both.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
No lights in or within 5ft of a body of water designed for human use PERIOD! If it is within 5-10ft then the fixture has to be grounded. Article 680 of the NEC was not written with LV in mind so there is grey area here. The best you can do is install fixtures OK for wet location or submersible, and utilize a Pool and Spa rated transformer on a GFCI bubble protected outlet. Before doing anything I would consult with your inspector to verify your plans and what he is going to require to pass inspection. In most cases the inspectors will understand this and pass inspection seeing that you are taking proper precaution and using a Pool and Spa rated unit which provides additional ground protection. Being that our systems are 2 wire we have to rely ont he transformers for our protection. Also explain your use of secondary fuse protection at your Hubs.
Remember there is a method for lighting pools 12 and 120V, Most all pools have a light in the water. No?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eden Lights View Post
Remember there is a method for lighting pools 12 and 120V, Most all pools have a light in the water. No?
They do but those pool lights are designed in with the construction and are completely encapsulated. They have there own set of guidlines and fall in with the construction of the pool or spa itself. It would be very hard to come in after the fact to add a pool light, in fact I think in most pools it would be impossible.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

what gets me about those pool lights already installed, they are high voltage and no more waterproof than our submersible fixtures. to change the bulb, you remove set screws and they have a silicone gasket, similar to many underwater fixtures I have seen. it is correct that they are grounded and to a gfci, but really, which one is more dangerous, a 12 volt feed water tight fixture or a 120volt water tight fixture? in the event of water, what will 12 volts exactly do? if both go to a gfci outlet, the low voltage system seems to me, by common sense, safer.

why is it safe to put 12 volt in water features? humans get in them quite often.

that being said, by code, I'll never install in a pool, or a waterfall that goes into a pool.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The city of Austin, Texas now will only permit low voltage or LED lighting in pools. I'm sure that other cities ans states will soon follow suit.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It is my understanding that the typical "pool light" is equipped with something called an anti-syphon device. Also, the equipment must be installed in a manner which prohibits anyone from grabbing or stepping onto the device to get out of the pool. In other words, it must be flush mounted with no handles. Just because we don't understand the reasoning does not mean there isn't a good purpose for the rule.
, GA Lic#LVG105244
www.JohnsonLightingInc.com
Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

the pool light is permitted because it is bonded to the ground along with the steel in the pool and anything within 5 feet of the water and is GFI protected. Low voltage lighting is not grounded at the fixture.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 08-07-2008, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes...grounded...but I dont like 120volt in water at all...we use only 12 volt anywhere within the pool deck no matter how big the deck is...12 volt everywhere, except for in the swim up bars and that I have yet to figure out.