Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Help, aggressive grass taking over my Centipede.

The grass in the pics below is a creeping grass with deep roots and it is rapidly taking over my otherwise near perfect centipede lawn. There is a spot in my back yard that grew from mere sprouts to a 12' diameter circle in a matter of a couple of weeks. I've heard stories of this type of grass taking over a whole yard in a season or two and I just laid 27 pallets of Centipede in March.

Even when I pull it up faithfully, it's still winning the battle. I'm considering using a paintbrush to paint some Roundup on the individual runners to see if I can kill it back to the roots. I seriously doubt I'll find a herbicide that will kill this grass and not my Centipede. I may just have to kill large chunks of my lawn and re-sod. Does anyone know what kind of grass this is and how I might get rid of it?

I'm 100% certain it is not crab grass. Crab grass is soft/tender. This stuff is fairly dense. It even makes a snapping sound when it breaks off. It reminds me of a miniature bamboo.

In the yard:

Pulled up, no roots:

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Old 08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Helping you help yourself.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...72&postcount=3
Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If this is bahia grass, there are several things that will selectively control it in centipede. Vantage, is good for killing most grasses that are not centipede or fine fescue, it is toxic to everything else. Image or better still, a tank mix of Image + atrazine will also damage the bahia without injuring the centipede. Metsulfuron(Manor, Blade) will also control bahia. Note that metsulfuron is applied at 1/2 oz of product per acre. You do not spot spray any of the herbicides I mentioned, they should be applied through a callibrated sprayer operated at a set volume and pressure.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US263%26sa%3DN
Old 08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

look at nimbleweed @ the above link
Old 08-11-2008, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Nope, not Nimbleweed or Bahia. I live where we have our own name on Bahia, Pensacola, Bahia and I'm familiar with it. Nimbleweed "flowers" the same way with the forked stalks. This stuff just runs. I have yet to see anything I'd call a flower. It tunnels for a few feet and then pops up. It's very dense. The blades almost feel like Zoysia or something. I think Nimbleweed is easy to pull up by the roots but as you can see in my pic, the roots are so well rooted that the node breaks 90% of the time when pulling it up. If you were to talk one of the pieces in the pic and try to break/pull the stalk into two pieces, it would be a real chore without a blade. You could weave a rope out of this crap. I'd guess that it's a closer cousin to Bahia than Nimbleweed but Bahia it isn't. I suppose Vantage is worth a shot if I can get ahold of it. I'm pretty sure it's not at Home Depot

Thanks again for the replies,

Jeff
Old 08-11-2008, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think it's in the Panicum family hard to kill ...torpedo grass
Old 06-26-2011, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm having this same issue now!

Did you ID it for sure?

What can stop it?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sequential applications of Vantage/sethoxydim. One application will not do the job. I also do not suggest spot spraying either. Missing an area of weeds can be the source of ongoing infestation. That weed looks like some really healthy torpedo grass.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Sequential applications of Vantage/sethoxydim. One application will not do the job. I also do not suggest spot spraying either. Missing an area of weeds can be the source of ongoing infestation. That weed looks like some really healthy torpedo grass.
Where do I find that?