Register free!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Think of buying an exsisting spraying business.

I had a company approach me that wants to sell its spraying accounts. At the present time, the company has 88 lawns to spray. The lawns are being sprayed 4 times per year. Most of them are in very small neighborhoods. The company gross income is around $22,000. Its equipment is not worth buying. I have some very good spraying equipment. What would be a good price for this business?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

buy company

I would say 75 percent of sales, say about 16,500.

Or maybe 4 times profit (if any).

But how are you going to finance it? Will your bank loan you money on something they cannot repossess? Probably not. Does he have prepayments? Can you use the prepayments to finance the purchase? Can you pay him $1000 per month during the season until you pay off about 16,000 plus about 2000 interest? How dependent are the sales on the personality of the owner? Are the measurements accurate? Prices steeply discounted?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always heard $1.25 x Gross Sales.

I am sure this where you live and market can affect the formula (whatever it is).
Old 08-07-2008, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The above numbers a good if the company is larger. 88 accounts is nothing. This is a situation you can take advantage of....they approached you. Ask them what they want and then offer less, your call as to how much less. but base you counter offer on route density, net profit and what you feel is their level of desperation. Sounds bad, but business is business and the economy is a buyers market.

You are in the drivers seat. I have bought accounts in this situation for 20 cents on the dollar b.c the guy wanted out
Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

where are the lawns? located? if you dont want them i might them
Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
The above numbers a good if the company is larger. 88 accounts is nothing. This is a situation you can take advantage of....they approached you. Ask them what they want and then offer less, your call as to how much less. but base you counter offer on route density, net profit and what you feel is their level of desperation. Sounds bad, but business is business and the economy is a buyers market.

You are in the drivers seat. I have bought accounts in this situation for 20 cents on the dollar b.c the guy wanted out
I am all for getting a good deal on anything I can...but I can tell you that I have busted my balls for my business, and I wouldn't just give it away.

Maybe some would....but there is no way I would!

Why build an awesome business and then give it away?
Old 08-09-2008, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Counter offer to do the lawns as a subcontractor.
You could then offer to buy them after you see their true value.

I say this because 35% of our work is as a sub to the landscaper/ mow guys.
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Old 08-09-2008, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GreenUp

Having both bought and sold accounts there are several consideration and price structures.

1st Are there actual contracts and when do they expire? Is there a cancellation clause?

2nd Location and Size are an other factor to consider. Are they in your working area Near or Far?? If they are large, will it take more than one trip.

3rd Quality of accounts and profitability is very important in today's raising costs of fertilizer. Is there enough margin to cover. You can not rise prices right off the bat or they will drop like flies.

4th Quality of the Neighborhoods is a major factor in my mind. Can you up sell these accounts or Is this neighborhood a desirable market you can build accounts.

5th Cullablity or can you profit from more accounts than you resell or just plain quit. In some cases I have bought accounts knowing I would re-sell or give away a certain proportion that were not profitable to me. But I bought the package because a Higher percentage of profit could be made from the good accounts and it gave me entry to a desirable neighborhood market. In some cases Gated Communities that I had limited or no entry too.

6th While rcreech claims 125% is standard I will agree that is the going price for high margin Contract accounts. But no contract lesser accounts can easily go for 50% or lower. As businessmen we are gamblers who desire the odds in our favor. But we are also gamblers who lose if we make a bad bet.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.Ē John Wayne.