Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2008, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Weed Identification Question

Does anyone here recognize this weed? Click on thumbnail to go to full size picture.

Some believe it could be Dallisgrass, others think it's something else. I've noticed this weed in almost every yard here in Maryland, but no one at the stores here in Maryland have been any help.

Also, if you can identify the weed, what herbicide would be best to kill it without killing any of the tall fescue? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Certification - In order to become certified as a pest control applicator, an individual must be at least 18 years of age and have at least one year of practical pesticide application experience as a registered employee in the category, or categories, in which he/she wants to become certified. A degree in a biological field such as biology, botany, horticulture, entomology, agronomy, etc. may qualify in lieu of experience. The individual must pass examinations administered by MDA.

Here's the rest:
http://www.mda.state.md.us/plants-pe...ensing_req.php
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Certification - In order to become certified as a pest control applicator, an individual must be at least 18 years of age and have at least one year of practical pesticide application experience as a registered employee in the category, or categories, in which he/she wants to become certified. A degree in a biological field such as biology, botany, horticulture, entomology, agronomy, etc. may qualify in lieu of experience. The individual must pass examinations administered by MDA.

Here's the rest:
http://www.mda.state.md.us/plants-pe...ensing_req.php
Thanks for the information.

Now, back to the question at hand, can anyone ID this weed?
Old 08-07-2008, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmlawn View Post

If you had that year of experience that is highlighted in the quote then you would not only know what kind of weed that is, but the fact that you do not know is a clear indication that you have no pesticide applicator's license.

So first that might answer why everybody is giving you half answers, and second
I am not about to recommend a chemical to an unlicensed practitioner.

Like it or not you need a pesticide application license to treat that, and most any other weed.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

looks like dallis to me. Can you get a sample or picture of the seedhead?

http://utextension.tennessee.edu/pub...iles/SP642.pdf
Old 08-07-2008, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
If you had that year of experience that is highlighted in the quote then you would not only know what kind of weed that is, but the fact that you do not know is a clear indication that you have no pesticide applicator's license.

So first that might answer why everybody is giving you half answers, and second
I am not about to recommend a chemical to an unlicensed practitioner.

Like it or not you need a pesticide application license to treat that, and most any other weed.
Then don't respond at all because obviously you have no idea yourself.

I have seen plenty of threads on this forum asking similar questions where pictures have been posted of a particular unidentifiable weed or condition of a lawn that indicated a possible fungal infection. Other knowlegeable people here assist other idividuals to rectify the problem. Also, there are plenty of homeowner premixed herbicides that can be purchased directly off the shelf which will treat many types of turf weeds safely without required chemical licenses... what a concept! However, it is a good idea to know what you are treating first to ensure you are using the correct product. By asking a question doesn't dictate anyone's level of experience. It's only knowledge seeking. Now, the post below yours is a clear example of someone trying to help identify the weed and assist with the problem... Thank you Marvin.

Have a nice day Top.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Can anyone point out to me where csm indicated the weeds were in a lawn he was going to spray? As far as I know and understand from the post, he sees it everywhere and is looking to find a pesticide that kills it. Maybe its in his own lawn. Maybe other homeowners, unaware of the site and others, might want to kill it themselves? Maybe someone that posts an average of 9 posts a day, every day for 3.5 years would be able to understand the posts he responds to. I got a ration of crap from some in here a while back on this topic and I've come to realize the pesticide boys are very concerned about their jobs and the fact that just about anyone can do what they do for a fraction of the cost and a small commitment of time. YOU ARE REPLACEABLE!!

Anyway, dallisgrass looks like a good start. Even if its not, Bayer Advanced All In One Weed Killer has work great ON MY OWN LAWN when I see undesirables. Now if I could only get it sprayed in here once in a while ......
Old 08-07-2008, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

seed heads would confirm it, but

It sure looks like dallisgrass to me. Thanks for the pics, americanlawn

Quote:

Old 08-07-2008, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ortho weed b gone.
http://scottssti.com/en/08_resources...rassConc06.pdf
Old 08-08-2008, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Also, there are plenty of homeowner premixed herbicides that can be purchased directly off the shelf which will treat many types of turf weeds safely without required chemical licenses... what a concept!
Although there are pesticides marketed to homeowners they are usually more expensive and are a much lower concentration than the professional products and thus don't work very well if at all. Also it is illegal in most states to spray any pesticide, professional or not, for compensation.

That being said, I do think Topsites was a little harsh on you, after all, I've been a licensed applicator for 6 years now and I don't know what that weed is, but that's because I've never seen it in my area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capetrees View Post
I've come to realize the pesticide boys are very concerned about their jobs and the fact that just about anyone can do what they do for a fraction of the cost and a small commitment of time. YOU ARE REPLACEABLE!!
I have noticed that a lot of people are like that in all the forums on this site. You think we're bad, go ask a question in the irrigation forum. I have read many of Topsites posts and he usually gives great and accurate information.

As far as anyone being able to do this, you're mostly right, except for the small commitment of time part. We have to spend a lot of time reading books and gaining experience in the field to get our licenses, which teaches us how not to destroy thousand of dollars worth of trees because we used the wrong product, for example.

Any idiot can go to Wally world and buy roundup to spray the weeds in their driveway, but what about the guy with 20,000+ sq. ft. of gravel? You think he's going spend all week to walk that with $25 worth of watered down crap bought off the shelf? Or will he spend $2500-$5000 on a spray rig to do it in a half hour? OR, will he call me up because I already have the equipment and the chemical and I will spray it for $100 with guaranteed results?

Of course I can be replaced, but not by some mow boy who bought some "extended control" junk from Wal-mart.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to illustrate a point.