Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-22-2002, 07:12 PM
Banned

Bobby, never let a woman, with whom you share intimate relations, know exactly how much money you make.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure my wife would help me if she wasn't working 50 hrs. a week at her job. She's under alot of stress and deadlines so I rarely ask her for help. When I do need her it's mainly on how to spell something. Fortunately there is one smart one in this family.LOL
Old 01-22-2002, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When your business grows to the point that your wife can quit her job - She will LOVE to help out!!
Old 01-22-2002, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
Gaurdian sees the light

If your wife is interested, let her help as much or as little as she would like. Who else are you going to share your success with.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey, I'm lucky to live where I live. I've got one wife for the books, one as the secretary and one to tend the youngin's. Just kidding, of course.
Old 01-23-2002, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Now that's dam funny!:blob4:
Old 01-23-2002, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

wife?

You might let her help with clerical duties like mailings and invoices, but I have to say, based on the numerous small details I have to handle, that unless you're immersed in the business, an outsider can't do all the little things right. I find myself making judgement calls on bills, taking calls and using my judgement on how to handle a request, etc. Your wife is not gonna be as flexible as you. But if you're getting so big you need help from someone, your wife might help, rather than deal with employee hassles in the office.

Example: A customer calls and wants their gutters cleaned, but you don't do that normally, for liability and danger reasons. But in this case, you know that it's a short, flat roof with few trees nearby, an easy, safe, quick, very profitable job. (they'll gladly pay you $40 for 20 minutes of work rather than $100 to a "gutter service" company) You also know that this old lady will think you hung the moon if you do this favor for her, since she's intimidated by having "strangers" over. So you say yes and make more money and a customer for life. Your wife, though, might simply give her the "sorry, we don't do that" answer, since she doesn't know every property and customer like you do.

You also cannot fire your wife, and if you have marital problems, she could be stealing you blind prior to running off with her boyfriend to the Bahamas. <G>
Old 01-23-2002, 01:51 AM

Location: PRETTY SOON BETWEEN PALERMO AND AYRSHIRE BUT RIGHT NOW SWEET HOME CHICAGO
Brucec32
You right ive seen that happen women run off with everything.
But i aint worried about mine we been togeather 28 years in march.
Got two grow boys im pretty sure she's gonna be around a while more
Old 01-23-2002, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Quote:
[i]the hole office [/B]
Hey, Ive got an office like that too. LOL

Just messin with you. Not like spelling was critical to lawn care.
Not like these guys.

Dave
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2002, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

My wife took me over the top by computrerizing our entire book keeping system and made us a little more efficient. Instead of the 110 hrs or more a week I used to work I am now down to an average of only 50+ which is half as stressful too.
I had to laugh at the comment of not letting someone you are with know how much money you have. AMEN .....but on the other hand it is nice to be able to leave the office and trust that the cash register is safe and that the crew might not pop in for an extra 2 hr break also.

At least hopefully you can trust your wife a cash register. I have an ex wife you couldn't trust around a broken pay phone.