Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Redmax 7001 Blower Vapor Lock?

I have a Redmax blower that runs great except when it sits out in the sun. It will generally start easily, but when I try to give it throttle, it just won't take the fuel. It spits and sputters and dies. If you can keep it running long enough to get it cooled off, it will run fine. (I think it is the carb that needs cooling) It is not a problem with exhaust or the coil. The exhaust is clean and the coil is new. All coil problems I have ever had would stop the unit while it was running and the coil got hot. The problem never shows up while the engine is running. It only occurs after the engine is of and sitting in the sun. I have tried opening the gas tank vent to make sure there was not a stopped up vent, but that doesn't make a change. The factory tech said there might be a stopped up vent for the carb. I haven't been able to find this vent. Any suggestions are appreciated. THanks.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Vaporlock?

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF POSTS ABOUT MY ECHOS

FUEL PROBLEMS

For the past few years, I have had “vapor lock” conditions on some of my trimmer motors and chainsaws. I am using all Echo units. After normal use, (and especially on a hot day) the motor, after sitting a few minutes, will fire and die. If I place the choke at ˝ closed, it may run poorly for a little before dying. All this time, the motor is running in a lean condition, bogging down when the throttle is pressed.

I was told that fuels were blended by the seasons now. In the Winter the fuel puts off a lot of fumes and in the Summer there were less fumes (these fumes being called “light fractions”).

The solution was to leave the gas cap off overnight and allow the fuel mix to evaporate.

I am now buying premium fuel, allowing it to vent at least overnight, and mixing my 2 cycle mix at 32-1 rather than 50-1.

All seems to help but on a hot day in the winter at Alpine Texas area (5000’ elevation) I still have some problems. It is not fun when I am high in a tree with a saw that does not want to run.

Anyone else have similar problems.

De

******** post 2 *******

I go to the limits of my knowledge much too often. Thanks for the post.

The problem on my equipment is similar but different. After running the 2 cycle motor hard, then immediately putting fuel in it, starting, then the motor will be most difficult to run. The motor is running lean. By forcing it to run by moving the choke in and out and, at the same time, moving the throttle much, the condition smoothes and the unit runs fine. This takes an honest 2 minutes (sounds short on paper, but is “a pain” on a job site).

Granted some of my echos have 1000hrs+, but some are new. The same thing happens on old and new.

The hotter the day and the harder I run the saw or trimmer motor (on extension saws), the more common the problem. The larger the motor, the less common the problem (and easier to solve). Seldom does it happen on my CS9000, but it occurs consistently on my 24cc motors on my extension saws. Also common on the 30cc an 34cc saw motors.

Thanks again and still hoping someone out there has a solution.

de
Old 08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Vapor Lock Solution?

I have tried solving my problem by pouring cold water over the carb. I have just tried this a couple of times and it did seem to work. I have thought about putting a wet towel over the blower when I stop to work.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow,

Something that simple might work.

de
Old 08-08-2008, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems like all the fuel systems issues have been covered in this thread and the one Echoman started a few days ago.

That brings me to this suggestion, a few years back I had a Stihl 024 come in that had the same problem, hard starting when hot. After a battle of wits with the chain saw, what I came up with is, changing the Champion plug to a Bocsh of the same heat range. Changing the plug worked, no problems since.
For what ever reason, Champion and NGK would not work in the 024.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

plug change

Thanks,

Changing a plug is easy and cheap. I have 4 units I use daily so why not change 2 to test.

Thanks again
de
Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Echoman, your problem might be elevation, too.
I'll pray that you have adjustable carbs on the things.

The difference between a Technician and a Mechanic - A Technician uses a book, the Mechanic uses his brain.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

elevation

Yep, work ranges from 4500 to 6000 in the low west Texas mountains and then I drop to 3000 here around Odessa.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mcambrose......what octane fuel are you running and what brand are you buying?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

87 octane. It is Kangaroo Brand. Just a low price high volume seller. Note that I don't have the same problem with my Redmax trimmer.