Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: How often do you clean off your equipment?
Every Day 4 7.41%
Once per week 26 48.15%
Once per month 19 35.19%
Why would I do that? 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2002, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How often do you clean your equipment?

How often?

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-22-2002, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I voted once per week, but that doesn't mean washing. I just blow the machines off. I never wash them. My thought is that if you working why waste the time you could be making money? I don't go into great detail for something that the very next day during hour 1 it will be back the same way again.

I keep maintenance up very very well. I want the machines running. I don't want to waste time having the nicest and newest looking machines in town. Look professional--yes, look like we have to much time on our hands--no. Cleaning to much takes away from the bottom line. I'm all into the bottom line!!!
Old 01-22-2002, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Decks on the mowers are scraped down, lubricated, and wahed out daily. I know that its not good they say to wash your equipment every day but the decks must be kept clean to prevent transporting diseases and other fungi from one account to the next. Hours are logged to check for oil changes.

Machines are lubed each morning with a shot or two per serk depending upon locale and function including trimmer heads. Trimmer shafts are cleaned at the end of each day to prevent the buildup of gunk. Back packs and various handheld carb areas get a quick burst of air to help clean off any debris.

The machines all get the air filters blown free of dirt and debris at the end of the day. Once a week exhaust ports are checked for carbon build up with a dowel as well. Linkages are checked and adjusted weekly too on all machines.

The list goes on but these are just some of the basic elemental aspects that I do to keep my investments running smoothly and food on the table for my girls.

Anyone care to add to the list of daily preventative maintenance tasks???
Old 01-22-2002, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On Sunday after I'm done w/everything else. I love to wash stuff. This spring I'm going to use my pneumatic buffer to wax stuff so dirt and grime come off easier.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kutnkru

The list goes on
Kutnkru, How do have time for cutting with all that preventative maint.? You have a full time mechanic?
Couple questions: Deck wash daily to prevent disease spreading to other accounts? Wouldn't you have to do that between every job if that is a concern? Do you disinfect? Overkill IMO.
Trimmer shafts cleaned daily? Haven't cleaned a trimmer shaft in 5 yrs. & have no excessive buildup. Trimmer heads greased daily? Sthil, once a season is sometimes overkill.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Actual washing with water is done twice a year. Once in the middle of the season , and then after we are done for the year.

As far as maintenance goes though, Matt maintains them regularly.

Matt's thoughts are the same as 65Hoss.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I basicaly do the same as Major....I am still scratching my head on kutnkru's theory there..huh I know it is not all that ethical but IF and only IF( i have never had this happen) I spread some sort of grass killing disease then I would profit off of it rather than lose time and money on washing my decks every day. :blob1:
Old 01-22-2002, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jack D.
Deck wash daily to prevent disease spreading to other accounts? Wouldn't you have to do that between every job if that is a concern? ,,,, Trimmer shafts cleaned daily? Trimmer heads greased daily?
Nope no mechanic.

I suppose when I sit back to think about it ~ It is pointless from the aspect of disease control washing the decks. It does help to prevent clumping by cleaning them regularly because we are mowing more often wet than dry til 10 am in our area. Im also just referring to the undersides of the decks.

The trimmers are older Robins and thats what the dealer said umpteen years back so thats what Ive been doing right along. A shot in the zerk every morning. As far as the shafts are concerned I just wipe them down with a shop rag to get the dust and debris off them.

In all fairness I suppose that some of these compulsive behaviors come from working under the hood with my father for so many years. Not only can I hold the light perfectly still, in the exact spot and my father always commended me on a job well done (Hey stupid!!! I dont know where your lookin at ~ but Im over heer) -LOL!!! And when finished each time all the tools were wiped down and made sure they were clean before I could scrub up or my arsze was history.

Guess my ol man was tougher than most but better than some Im sure.
Old 01-22-2002, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Not often enough

Appearance is probably the weakest aspect of my entire operation.
As a man in the trade once told me, "People like to deal with people who look successful."

Dave
Old 01-22-2002, 10:21 PM
Banned

LOL Kris, I'm probably on my third cold one by the time you get through that daily maint. routine. How old are those Robins? I usually retire a trimmer after 2-3 years to back-up duty.