Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-29-2008, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Awsome job.... after playing 8 years of organized baseball I had no idea they put bricks under the mound and batter's box....who wudda thunk it!

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys understand that these are bricks of mound clay, not fired bricks like used in construction.

The warning track at Comerica Park is crushed granite. We had a groundskeeper visit from the Northern League, a team in Minnesota, and her infield skin is the same material. Volcanic rock seems like that.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
Awsome job.... after playing 8 years of organized baseball I had no idea they put bricks under the mound and batter's box....who wudda thunk it!
You didn't think it because this is probably the one and only time bricks were used to construct the mound

He keeps trying to make the point that the bricks are not fired, they will eventually, hopefully, return to their clay state

Use diamond clay for mounds please, those bricks will beat your childs shins and knees to death before they get through a season

Dumb idea, "hey dad let go practice for hours and hours on concrete" not smart
Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have read many of your posts and enjoyed them. I think you are bright and fair-minded. We disagree on this, however, and I beleive you have missed the mark on this topic. This is how most mounds are built at the higher levels of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
You didn't think it because this is probably the one and only time bricks were used to construct the mound

He keeps trying to make the point that the bricks are not fired, they will eventually, hopefully, return to their clay state

Use diamond clay for mounds please, those bricks will beat your childs shins and knees to death before they get through a season

Dumb idea, "hey dad let go practice for hours and hours on concrete" not smart
Old 02-03-2009, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Totally agree with 'foreplease', a well built mound is usually built with clay bricks. Like 'Tscape' mentioned, mound bricks are made of clay. A properly maintained mound made with bricks will be just the same as a mound made of bagged clay. The biggest problems with pitching mounds is the maintenance of the mound. Bagged clay hardens up just like a clay brick would if it isn't kept moist enough.
www.baseballfieldmaintenance.net
Old 05-10-2011, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice, I like the pictures. Good work
Old 02-22-2013, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks good, work at local college and always use bricks on mounds and batters box, only thing i do different is stagger the seams and always tarp and hand water
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

If you're renovating an existing mound, typically one layer of Mound Blocks is sufficient to provide a firm foundation for pitchers and batters (and saves having to excavate as deep!) Most Blocks are 2.5" thick so that's a pretty good base that will hold up to wear. It's beneficial to water and tamp the Blocks when they are being installed to help mold the surface into a solid sheet of clay. Blocks left in place as individual pieces are more likely to shift and form holes as infield mix settles in between them.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Practice Mound

Hey, lover this thread.
Your pitchers mound looks fantastic...!
I have actually been considering building a practice mound for my son who is a freshman to practice pitching in the summer.
Let me give you a little background. I live in Michigan. My ground is clay. I will be building the mound on the north side of my house rather close to my home, so the house will offer some shade from the direct sun at least part of the day. I plan on buying a tarp to cover it. most of the time.
Where can I find the materials? (bricks & dirt to cover the mound)

Craig
Old 05-20-2013, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Craig - it depends on where in Michigan you are located as far as a nearby distributor of Mound Blocks and Mound Clay. I work for Turface and do not mean to use this site for commercial purposes, but since you asked for a place to buy products, I'd suggest checking out turface.com and using the distributor locator to see who might be close to you in Michigan. Hope that helps!