Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2008, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

8 BS motor

Yep, there is a trick and I have forgot it.

I don't remember except that it has to do with the adjustment scrw. Seems I had a special screwdriver I had ground to clear the housing.

Well, I will post a thread "Help 8hp BS carb disassembly". Someone will help maybe.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I remember now.

To remove the jet, the carb doesn't have to be disassembled. Remove the adjustment needle at the bottom of the bowl. Looking in the cavity where the adj needle was, you will see the brass nozzle/jet. Rather than use a small screwdriver that might "round off" the head on the nozzle, I ground the edges of a larger screwdriver to clear the housing and fit better in nozzle.

Remove the jet/nozzle and clean it.

Good luck
echoman
Old 08-12-2008, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Son of a Gun.I had that out already(well the needle anyhow).So close.Good info.I'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You said the engine has spark when you unplug the kill wire. Where are you unplugging the kill wire from ? Another thought : Does this engine have a low oil sensor ? A low oil sensor works thru the kill wire also.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Member

The kill wire is attatched right by the throttle assy.No low oil sensor on this engine either.Any idea why it would work for that anount of time and then all of the sudden i have to unhook the kill wire from the assy. tto get spark again?Wierd.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big'nbroke View Post
The kill wire is attatched right by the throttle assy.No low oil sensor on this engine either.Any idea why it would work for that anount of time and then all of the sudden i have to unhook the kill wire from the assy. tto get spark again?Wierd.
I've had a small green twig stop a B&S Classic due to the kill switch design. Have you made sure that there is not something wedged in the kill switch?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes i did.The switch is mounted all by itself on top of the blower housing.I actually took the housing off and looked inside and out.Nutt'n.Nadda.Do you think the switch could have just took a dump?I'm going outside in about an hour to clean the jet and see what happens.Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok.Follow up.Replaced the plug.Got it running now.But my other problem is still there.If i have it at full throttle it will run there briefly than return to idle.On occasion stalling out.It really seems like it is starving for fuel.But no sure.It will do the same thing at idle up and down up and down.I can hold the throttle wide open and it will do it's own thing going from WOT to idle back and forth.I cleaned the jet.Wasn't dirty though,it looked very clean..I pulled the plug and it was black with carbon indicating a rich mix.The needle was 2.5 turns out.I tried going a full turn either way and it didn't help much.I'm speculating something in the carb.What do you all think?What usually causes a rich mix?I'm guessing these things have floats?I'm sure you guys can give me a breakdown of carb internals and i should be able it figure it from there.You guys have been a big help.Thanks.We're almost there.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Yet another update.Pulled the carb.Everything was clean.Float was good bothe needles were clean,jet is clean.The whole thing was really clean.Put it back together.Same thing.I noticed that i had fuel dripping out the bottom of the air cleaner tube.The plug is black so i'm obviously getting to much fuel.At first i thought i was starving for fuel but it actually seems i'm dumping too much.Then eventually fouling the plug to where it won't run anymore.Is the needle seat by the float possibly bad causing fuel to just constantly dump in?It runs ok for about 2 minutes or so then goes into crap mode.Thanks in adavance.