keep name 4 18.18%
find new name close to old name 3 13.64%
come up wth new name 16 72.73%
trash old name 2 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2002, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

change name.....

Mmmm, My boss had this problem when i was a production manager 4 years ago back in Washington D.C. The company's name was called "Evergreen Lawn and Landscaping. There we're a few other businesses tryin to fit in the name Evergreen, didn't do so well for us, when we said our name people who didn't know us, thought we we're someone else. so, we went back to our roots and wanted to make a drastic change where no one would come close to our name. Our mascot for the company was a cow, Yes i said,a cow! Well, my boss changed the name to something very unusual and got his own website as well. Now the company is called Mowcow lawn and landscaping inc. to check it out go to (www.mowcow.com) the change worked for us and we also did something else before we changed the names, we had cow spots put on most of our trucks. Peop,le knew who we we're after that and the rest is history. the thing is, be different, and do something to attract people in a positive way.

I've taken what I've leearned and applied it to my own business. Mine is called "Special Needs lawn Services"
(slogan_) "Putting your special needs first"
ya want something that people will feel comfortable with and won't feel like your just another joe lookin for another contract to fill space. I personalize everything i do, that's just the start of it for me.

I hope this info comes handy for ya.
got any questions, just write,

Richard Coffman/owner
Special Needs Lawn Services
Old 01-24-2002, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mow 4 Money

Old 01-24-2002, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to the County clerk of court and do a search. Kirby mentioned if you had the name longer than the rest it's yours and depending on the area of operation with the others they will have to change, provided you have your name registered with the court. At least here in NC you go to the clerk and do a search. (some are still on paper........tons of books) (some are on computer) much easier. You will search for your business name and find out when they where registered. Most of the time people skip this step and just begin using a name. From my best understanding if you do not find it registered than you can grab it and no matter how long they have used it becomes mute. The post above mentioned tweaking it a little, once you do that go and register it ( I think it was $9.00 here) and it's yours. Then IF you see your name driving by on another truck it's your right to request they do business under another name. Good luck.
Raymond
Old 03-24-2003, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

what did you decide?
Old 03-24-2003, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My second choice was "Pro-Mow LawnCare''. I really like that name, but stuck with my original name.