Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2008, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use two apps first app .15, second app .10 dimension both app @ 4lbs, if for some reason I get some hot spots along sidewalks, pool etc I'll spray with Drive at a very early stage. Remember crab grass will germinate again like nuts in later July into August in South Jersey anyway.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I think it is this later July germination that is killing me now!

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your season may not be much different from ours. I do split apps of prodiamine (barricade). I do one early spring, Mar 15-April 15, then I do a second in May. I know I could just go at a higher rate and do 1, but it makes more sense for me to run it with the first 2 rounds, as I usually pick up quite a few new accounts well into round 2, that way they at least get one hit. Last year it worked great, this year, between heat, and heavy irrigation, I am getting more break through than I would like to see.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before worrying about adding a second app of Dimension to the lawn look at your situation and practice IPM.

How dense is the turf? If the turf is thin you're going to get crabgrass, run a soil analysis, go over the results and see if theres anything additional you can do for the lawn to get the most out of it.

And where is the crabgrass? Roadstrips, edges? Welcome to lawncare. Edges and roadstrips are usually crud to begin with.

If your situation is lack of desntiy offer a fall seeding to thicken up the lawn. You'll see a hell of a lot less crabgrass in the spring. I have lawns I dont even use pre-emergents on because the lawn is so thick and strong they don't really need it.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Fescue View Post
Before worrying about adding a second app of Dimension to the lawn look at your situation and practice IPM.

How dense is the turf? If the turf is thin you're going to get crabgrass, run a soil analysis, go over the results and see if theres anything additional you can do for the lawn to get the most out of it.

And where is the crabgrass? Roadstrips, edges? Welcome to lawncare. Edges and roadstrips are usually crud to begin with.

If your situation is lack of desntiy offer a fall seeding to thicken up the lawn. You'll see a hell of a lot less crabgrass in the spring. I have lawns I dont even use pre-emergents on because the lawn is so thick and strong they don't really need it.
Frank,

The turf is definitely not very dense. This is the first year they are doing anything for it and with an app of broadleaf in the spring, a lot of bare spots resulted. I am definitely going to recommend the fall seeding. Would you kill the crabgrass now and then seed? I guess the crabgrass will die off in the cooler weather...should I just aerate and overseed then, and not worry about doing anything about the crabgrass now?

I will be doing a soil analysis soon.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnTamer View Post
I know I could just go at a higher rate and do 1, but it makes more sense for me to run it with the first 2 rounds, as I usually pick up quite a few new accounts well into round 2, that way they at least get one hit. Last year it worked great, this year, between heat, and heavy irrigation, I am getting more break through than I would like to see.

So for these people you pick up later on do you do a heavier app?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I've alway done two heavy apps of Dimension early with 08 5lbs per 1000.

Most of the CG we do end up getting is along streets and walkways due to all the heat.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How can you guys afford to do 2 apps of crab preventer? THat application is about break even for me. I couldn't handle two apps at what the material costs. I am also charging much more than my competitors. My breakthroughs are curbs strips. also any bare ground spots. I spot with post or do blanket post if needed.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondcoleman View Post
Frank,

The turf is definitely not very dense. This is the first year they are doing anything for it and with an app of broadleaf in the spring, a lot of bare spots resulted. I am definitely going to recommend the fall seeding. Would you kill the crabgrass now and then seed? I guess the crabgrass will die off in the cooler weather...should I just aerate and overseed then, and not worry about doing anything about the crabgrass now?

I will be doing a soil analysis soon.

Thanks!
Kill it now, kill it again when it starts to grow again. Aerate and overseed when temps get cooler. Two apps of Dimension aren't going to yeild the results you're looking for next year and you'll hear a lot of "But you put down crabgrass control in the spring right?"

People assume crabgrass control is a definite. The lawn needs to be thick, a lot of customers dont want to pay for the extra treatments, but they're probably not going to be long term customers anyway and will eventually just keep shopping around for the lower price.

Let them know you're in it for the long haul and your concern isnt to put a band aid on the problem, but to solve it and make sure they get the best value from you.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

One other thing to realize is that if the chemical companies can realize 95% control at lable rates they are very happy with the product. Well on a 10,000 sq ft lawn that means you might have 500 sq ft of crabgrass, mostly along the sidewalks and curblines. A victory for the chemical company but a service call for us. Always remember what we offer is weed CONTROL, not elimination or eradication and have your Drive 75 handy to catch the ones that got away. But catch them early, Drive is not nearly as effective against mature plants as it is before mid-July. And Drive needs to be watered in after about 10 hours on the plant. It requires both modes of absorption to be truely effective.
-Taj Mahal-