Register free!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Green water/Algae

Can someone help me as to how to control algae that is growing in the pond, especially on the pond liner? The water is turning green and on the waterfall, it keeps turning black (algae, moss?) I wash it off with my hose but it comes right back. I have 4 fish in my pond (Koi) and 3 turtles. I have a pretty good filter and have several pond plants. Can someone please help me? I am new to this pond stuff.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

can anyone help?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Algae growth on any and all pond surfaces is normal. It becomes a problem, much as any other plant, when the growth becomes rampant. Overgrowth of algae is controlled by limiting the available nutrients. This is done by: NOT overfeeding the fish, NOT having too many fish, controlling run-off from the area surrounding the pond, having enough plants (a sufficient number of aquatic plants will out compete the algae for nutrients and thus starve it). Invest in an inexpensive Water Test Kit. The results will indicate which areas need attention, such as whether or not your bio-filter is of sufficient size.
As an aside: Turtles are not recommended in ponds housing decorative fish. Box turtles will eventually eat all of the aquatic plants or, even worse, if you have snapping turtles, they will eat all of the fish.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post
Can someone help me as to how to control algae that is growing in the pond, especially on the pond liner? The water is turning green and on the waterfall, it keeps turning black (algae, moss?) I wash it off with my hose but it comes right back. I have 4 fish in my pond (Koi) and 3 turtles. I have a pretty good filter and have several pond plants. Can someone please help me? I am new to this pond stuff.
Green water is a primary source of to many nitrates. Almost always having enough plants will cure this problem. Tadpole is correct with is post. What type of filter do you have and are you maintaining it?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

clean your filter

how often are you cleaning your filter? clean it weekly.
do you ever change out any of the water? 10% a week will help keep the nitrates down which will starve out the algae. when you "wash" it off, do you remove it from the pond? if not it will sit at the bottom and rot, providing more
"food" for new algae.

www.SoCalPonds.com
Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

If you have a skimmer with proper sized pump most of it will get caught in the leaf net or biofilter, that's why we always say clean your filters afterwards. Also you can use a net with small holes to skim the surface.