Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2008, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dana, that is a different tool, but the same function as a RamBit. Jon and I talked about the over a year ago. It always makes me nervous to use/re-use a fitting on the pressure side, but I've done it with success. Wet/dry blue flex glue (your preference for brand) always makes me feel a bit more comfortable AND I don't pressure them up until the next day.

A search for "rambit" turns up 6 old threads.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 08-14-2008, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Years ago one of my mentors taught me how to "cheat out" pipe from inside a fitting. Cut the pipe off even with the shoulder of the fitting, then take a sawzall blade and cut almost all the way through the pipe in a couple of spots about an inch apart. Insert a small screwdriver into the glued area and gently tap the cut piece of pipe away from the fitting. the rest of the pipe should peel out pretty easily. Once pipe is out, I prime both sides then glue (hot blue) immediately. Wait until next day (okay, wait until I've put all my tools back on the truck) to hit it with pressure.

I may have to post a pic so I can illustrate it.

Been doing it that way when in a jam for a long time, have never had a "cheated" fitting blow out on me yet. True, I have busted some fittings, but they would've had to be cut out anyway, so...

::::cringes under desk, watches for sharp objects and pointed remarks::::
Old 08-14-2008, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterit View Post
Years ago one of my mentors taught me how to "cheat out" pipe from inside a fitting. Cut the pipe off even with the shoulder of the fitting, then take a sawzall blade and cut almost all the way through the pipe in a couple of spots about an inch apart. Insert a small screwdriver into the glued area and gently tap the cut piece of pipe away from the fitting. the rest of the pipe should peel out pretty easily. Once pipe is out, I prime both sides then glue (hot blue) immediately. Wait until next day (okay, wait until I've put all my tools back on the truck) to hit it with pressure.

Been doing it that way when in a jam for a long time, have never had a "cheated" fitting blow out on me yet. True, I have busted some fittings, but they would've had to be cut out anyway, so...

anyone have pics of the kit in action? also curious to see some pics of the above technique
Old 08-14-2008, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Did you bill for the 45 minutes you wasted on doing the cheater? With PP and TT and even TT alone I don't think you can get the pipe and fitting apart anymore. That worked well on the old clear glue everybody used to use. I can assure you that it won't work on any fitting I glue in. I have in desperation torched pipe out of fittings before. Would not recommend this to pups.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I saw and then later purchased the first Rambit I ever used from Longhorn in Dallas.

Peter, have you used them? A ram bit actually chases the old pipe via a washer that sets into the pipe, It makes no attempt to follow the actual fitting. You get a set of washers w/ each bit......one for class, one for sch40 and one for sch 80.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
I saw and then later purchased the first Rambit I ever used from Longhorn in Dallas.

Peter, have you used them? A ram bit actually chases the old pipe via a washer that sets into the pipe, It makes no attempt to follow the actual fitting. You get a set of washers w/ each bit......one for class, one for sch40 and one for sch 80.
Never have but now I'm intrigued. 99% of what we repair is 1" or below. If I dealt with larger sizes more frequently I'd consider cheaters more seriously I'm sure.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Did you bill for the 45 minutes you wasted on doing the cheater? With PP and TT and even TT alone I don't think you can get the pipe and fitting apart anymore. That worked well on the old clear glue everybody used to use. I can assure you that it won't work on any fitting I glue in. I have in desperation torched pipe out of fittings before. Would not recommend this to pups.
Usually takes about 10 minutes, and you do have to pick your spots to try it.
I've done it on PP and TT joints.

Definitely not for the pups or the faint of heart. But when the choice is to cheat the pipe out of an indexer or have to come back with a replacement...
Old 08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Usually takes about 10 minutes, and you do have to pick your spots to try it.
I've done it on PP and TT joints.

Definitely not for the pups or the faint of heart. But when the choice is to cheat the pipe out of an indexer or have to come back with a replacement...
I can see on a FIMCO you'd want to go that route.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a goody. 100 bones for the kit, not bad pricing.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
Dana, that is a different tool, but the same function as a RamBit. Jon and I talked about the over a year ago. It always makes me nervous to use/re-use a fitting on the pressure side, but I've done it with success. Wet/dry blue flex glue (your preference for brand) always makes me feel a bit more comfortable AND I don't pressure them up until the next day.

A search for "rambit" turns up 6 old threads.
I thought there had been some talk here about it, but couldn't find anything due to different name. I do like it and will put one on each truck next year. Something that would also help out when using this is an angle drill.