Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1821  
Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
Jpeg lawn maintenance's Avatar
Jpeg lawn maintenance Jpeg lawn maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-llc View Post
hope you're making $ man....i hate those little odd jobs, they usually never take long enough to make a good chunk of change on.
Sometimes the little jobs are the onces that make the most money.

Look at it this way if you have a small yard say 8k square feet and you charge 30 bucks. this yard takes you approx 10 min with 2 guys. Youcant make that kind of production and keep the price high with a place thats 3 acres. Sometimes the smaller jobs are better. But in some cases the bigger jobs are. Just depends on the job.
Reply With Quote
  #1822  
Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 PM
KE-llc KE-llc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: dirty jersey
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg lawn maintenance View Post
Sometimes the little jobs are the onces that make the most money.

Look at it this way if you have a small yard say 8k square feet and you charge 30 bucks. this yard takes you approx 10 min with 2 guys. Youcant make that kind of production and keep the price high with a place thats 3 acres. Sometimes the smaller jobs are better. But in some cases the bigger jobs are. Just depends on the job.
I'm not talking about small lawns. I'm talking about small 10min jobs like cleaning out grates or filling cracks...Brad has to be doing it dirt cheap, the sealing business has more hacks then landscaping...least round here...
__________________
(1) trash barrel
(1) NEW green barrel
(1) craftsman tractor 42"
(2) steel rakes
(1) plastic rake
(1) electric ryobi trimmer
Reply With Quote
  #1823  
Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Jpeg lawn maintenance's Avatar
Jpeg lawn maintenance Jpeg lawn maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,623
Ya you never know. The way I look at it I do not schedule mowing everyday in my opinion its dumb because if you get heavy rain you get backed up. Plus alot of holidays on mondays therefore I do not mow on monday. So maybe he did not have other work for that day and decided to take a little job just to get out and work and make a little cash. Who knows sometimes they py off sometimes its a waste of time.
Reply With Quote
  #1824  
Old 10-25-2010, 10:48 PM
93Chevy's Avatar
93Chevy 93Chevy is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
try too! My feet were soaked today, I worked all day in the rain
Gore Tex all the way. My feet were nice and dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg lawn maintenance View Post
LOL thats unfortunate. I stayed dry all day!!! going hunting tomorrow morning then hitting the lawns hard to get them done before the rain in the afternoon.
What are you hunting? I've been going out for squirrel in the mornings the past week. Hopefully I'll get a few days where I can go for pheasant or grouse in November.
__________________
"Please report all incidents of vomitus and fecal contamination to management immediately"

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Reply With Quote
  #1825  
Old 10-26-2010, 02:34 PM
RLS24's Avatar
RLS24 RLS24 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Amherst, NY
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg lawn maintenance View Post
Ya you never know. The way I look at it I do not schedule mowing everyday in my opinion its dumb because if you get heavy rain you get backed up. Plus alot of holidays on mondays therefore I do not mow on monday. So maybe he did not have other work for that day and decided to take a little job just to get out and work and make a little cash. Who knows sometimes they py off sometimes its a waste of time.
agreed. sometimes you do extra things for really good customers just to keep them happy. I am plowing one driveway this winter that is a bit out of my way, but they are a great customer, I do the lawn (which is a great lawn and I make a good profit on it), spring cleanup, mid-season trimming and weeding, fall cleanup, and they never complain, always pay on time and have referred me to a few other jobs. So to me its worth going a little out of my way to plow for them to keep the customer, thats just the kind of things you do for good customers.
__________________
Chevy and Ford trucks, Wright & Toro mowers, Echo 2-cycle, too much other stuff to list......

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Reply With Quote
  #1826  
Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 PM
monsterport monsterport is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
Stripes
Attachment 202713
Cleaning out drain basins, This is a nice little commercial account that I do just about everything for I give them extremely discounted prices to because the give me alot of work
Attachment 202718
filling parking lot cracks
Attachment 202715
lmao stripes....are you kidding me.
Reply With Quote
  #1827  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
deere615's Avatar
deere615 deere615 is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: McKees Rocks, PA
Posts: 5,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg lawn maintenance View Post
LOL thats unfortunate. I stayed dry all day!!! going hunting tomorrow morning then hitting the lawns hard to get them done before the rain in the afternoon.
must be nice how about today?? I mowed all lawns then was cutting a fallen tree in hurricane winds tornado warning and complete down pour!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-llc View Post
hope you're making $ man....i hate those little odd jobs, they usually never take long enough to make a good chunk of change on.
I always make $$ I know my numbers but with customers like this you have to do the odd things... its creating a good client base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg lawn maintenance View Post
Sometimes the little jobs are the onces that make the most money.

Look at it this way if you have a small yard say 8k square feet and you charge 30 bucks. this yard takes you approx 10 min with 2 guys. Youcant make that kind of production and keep the price high with a place thats 3 acres. Sometimes the smaller jobs are better. But in some cases the bigger jobs are. Just depends on the job.
Yes almost always big and little jobs pay good at least for me and the ones I get I have a lawn that is $30 and in and out by myself in probably about 8 minutes no lie
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE-llc View Post
I'm not talking about small lawns. I'm talking about small 10min jobs like cleaning out grates or filling cracks...Brad has to be doing it dirt cheap, the sealing business has more hacks then landscaping...least round here...
yep dirt cheap....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg lawn maintenance View Post
Ya you never know. The way I look at it I do not schedule mowing everyday in my opinion its dumb because if you get heavy rain you get backed up. Plus alot of holidays on mondays therefore I do not mow on monday. So maybe he did not have other work for that day and decided to take a little job just to get out and work and make a little cash. Who knows sometimes they py off sometimes its a waste of time.
I take any job i get sometimes they are nice on days like you said but most of the time they are all regular clients so when you can do all these extra things while you are already there it pays off even more
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Gore Tex all the way. My feet were nice and dry.



What are you hunting? I've been going out for squirrel in the mornings the past week. Hopefully I'll get a few days where I can go for pheasant or grouse in November.
yeah my boots are pretty water proof my gore tex hunting boots are way to big and heavy though for work
probably bow or squirrel-squirrel hunting is fun but I havent hunted in a long time since I started snow plowing
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
agreed. sometimes you do extra things for really good customers just to keep them happy. I am plowing one driveway this winter that is a bit out of my way, but they are a great customer, I do the lawn (which is a great lawn and I make a good profit on it), spring cleanup, mid-season trimming and weeding, fall cleanup, and they never complain, always pay on time and have referred me to a few other jobs. So to me its worth going a little out of my way to plow for them to keep the customer, thats just the kind of things you do for good customers.
Yep current customers will gladly pay you a good price to do the extras so they don't have to worry about looking for someone else, hiring them paying them etc.
__________________
BOSETTI LAWN CARE
www.bosettilawncare.com
23 years old~5 years in business~Fully Insured~LLC
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD


6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Reply With Quote
  #1828  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Jpeg lawn maintenance's Avatar
Jpeg lawn maintenance Jpeg lawn maintenance is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,623
I finished all my lawns today at 3:30 I beat the rain by a few hours.

Also I hunt deer, racoons, foxes coyotes. Tim if you ever want to go coon hunting i have a dog that has been in magazines he is pretty good. just let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #1829  
Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 PM
deere615's Avatar
deere615 deere615 is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: McKees Rocks, PA
Posts: 5,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterport View Post
lmao stripes....are you kidding me.
bad lawn plus I am a little crooked at one point probably was trying to answer my phone lol heres better ones from yesterday
Attached Images
 
__________________
BOSETTI LAWN CARE
www.bosettilawncare.com
23 years old~5 years in business~Fully Insured~LLC
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD


6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Reply With Quote
  #1830  
Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 PM
KE-llc KE-llc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: dirty jersey
Posts: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
I always make $$ I know my numbers but with customers like this you have to do the odd things... its creating a good client base

yep dirt cheap....
I suppose...I have a great client base and all but 5 are full maintenance.

Brad, you're the one who said you did it for extremely discounted prices...so ya that comes across as doing it dirt cheap.

Good luck with your business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:26 AM.

Page generated in 0.18985 seconds with 8 queries