Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-24-2002, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

review my Contract

I have used information I found in several forums to design what I feel is the perfect contract for my buisiness. I am about to send it to the attorney for his revisions but I wanted to ask a few of you to review what I have and ask for any sugestions and opinions. please tear it apart and help me put it back together....
Attached Files
File Type: doc contract draft.doc (21.0 KB, 323 views)
(765) 674-6373
SIMA Member
Old 01-24-2002, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

oops it downloads in too fine of print so unless you want to zoom in.....
I enlarged it here
thanks for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: doc contract draft.doc (21.0 KB, 186 views)
(765) 674-6373
SIMA Member
Old 01-24-2002, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Aeration twice per season is best once is great. Overseeding should only be done once as needed and in my opinion its best in the fall. Less weed competition at this time.

Your legaleze part is too lengthy. Your contract should follow the kiss rule. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Just my .02
Old 01-24-2002, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

From what I see, all you have there is a mowing contract. Every thing else is extra.

I use a List Of Srvice Sheet, listing most of my services and have a customer pick which services they are interested in and then work up a contract with their needs listed with prices for each service, all in one contract for the season. Any other work they decide to do will be quoted at the time of need.

Gene
Old 01-25-2002, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It looks like you put a lot of work into it...

I had to force myself to read the whole thing.. and if I was a client.. I wouldn't sign.

I'm not even close to being a contract expert as this is my first year presenting contracts.. I took the KISS approach.

Like Gene said.. Other than Lawn Maint. everything is "billed as additional" and then you have a section "Additional Services".

I felt there were too many conditions that tell me (as a client) that I'm screwed... by either hitting me with charges if you don't do the work and hitting me with exorbitant amoumt of charges if you do do some work.

I'm sorry.. but I didn't like it and would have a hard time presenting it to a client of mine. That's me though... maybe others will like it?

I'd be interested in what the attorney says... Good Luck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know how this is going to post.. copy and pasted from my document.. If I knew how to make a link it would be easier..

Here's an example of what I did: It looks better on 8x11 paper.. I put the price in when I present it to them and they initial what they want...

********2002 Grounds Maintenance Proposal/Agreement******

Client Name:

Work To Be Performed At:

Lawn Maintenance: TSG Property Maintenance Co. will maintain the lawn on an as needed basis during the season (April 1st - November 30th). In the event of inclement weather, TSG Property Maintenance Co. will reschedule the visit as soon as possible, and regularly scheduled visits will resume. In the event of drought conditions, TSG Property Maintenance Co. will use its judgment as to whether or not turf needs cutting.

Price: $________________ Initials:________

Landscape Maintenance: TSG Property Maintenance Co. will prune and/or shear all hedges and shrubs as needed (usually 2-3 times) during the growing season. Flowering perennials and ornamental grasses will be cut back at the end of their growing season. Annuals will be removed at the end of their growing season. All debris will be removed from the property.

Plant Bed Maintenance: TSG Property Maintenance Co. will inspect and maintain plant beds bi-weekly, keeping weeds to a minimum throughout the season, April 1st - November 30th. Debris will be removed from property.

More services follow the same format
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my terms (maybe too simple?)

Total Seasonal Price For The Requested Services Outlined Above:$_________________

Payment: Ten (10) equal installments of:______________________________Per Month.

Billing: Client will receive ten monthly invoices. Invoices will be billed to the client on the 1st of each month, beginning February 1st and ending November 1st.

Payment Terms: Net 14 days. The client agrees to pay the monthly bill in full, by the fifteenth day of each billed month. A $10.00 late fee will be applied to the next billed invoice if payment is not received. An invoice 15 days past due will be considered delinquent and services may cease until payment is received. Client will be responsible for all fees related to the collection of monies owed TSG Property Maintenance Co.

Terms: All material is guaranteed to be as specified. All work is to be completed in a workmanlike manner according to standard practice. Additional services (not outlined in this agreement) will be considered an extra and billed separately.

Cancellation: Either party may terminate this agreement at any time with a 15 day advance written notice. Cancellation date will be 15 days after such notice is received. In the event of cancellation, the client will be responsible for all costs of services rendered up to the cancellation date. A final invoice will be sent to the client 15 days after notification for balance due.

We propose to furnish material and labor - complete in accordance with the above specifications. I sign on a line here

Acceptance: The above prices, specifications and conditions are satisfactory and are hereby accepted. You are authorized to do the work. Payment will be made as outlined above.They sign on a line here

I wanted my Proposal/Agreement to fit on a single side of one page.. and it does even with the spaces

I hope this is of some use to some..?

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com

Last edited by Lawn-Scapes; 01-25-2002 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2002, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It does seem to long...................................................
At your snow and ice section how about...
Ground maintenance will not be liable for damages or injuries sustained after leaving the job site or grounds.If additional services are needed(ice melt,ect.) please notify Grounds Maintenance....it says it all sort and sweet.Just a thought..
Old 01-25-2002, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is everyone else in the midwest only getting 30 cuts in per year? This is killing my business plan. I was backing on 40-43 cuts per season (zone 5b/6a here). Seems like there is some money being left on the table.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grassman, not a chance in OH, the most we have ever seen is around 30.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: The Hottest driest city next to Hades - Denver Colorado
Contract

The contract seems like too much for a simple residential mow contract, but you didn't specify res/com. I like the simple approach.
I'd love to get a 30 mow season, we try to stretch to 26 but most average 22-24. Aerating seasons make up for it.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Millenium Member

I'm with the others, no way I would read all that too many long paragraphs. Formating and cleaning it up may help but it must be easy to read. Here is a copy of mine, I alter things as needed and just add boxes to the services list if more are needed.
Attached Files
File Type: doc union turf contract for lfweb.doc (34.0 KB, 234 views)