Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2008, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

where to buy xmas lights direct

where do you guys go to buy your lights wholesale? I have never done the lights before other than my own home but want to get into it this year. Someplace that has a catalog that I can show customers would be great! I have looked online but I dont know what "professional" grade and whats homeowner grade when it comes to x-mas lights. Thanks in advance, any and all help/info is appreaciated
Old 08-16-2008, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

read through the posts here and you'll find several companies to buy from . I'm a Holiday Bright Lights guy, they are in Omaha, Nebraska. Mike marlow is their rep. they are online and I believe they have the best stuff at pretty good prices. good luck-
Old 08-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Sponsor

I personally like to take actual lights out, not a catalog, it will give folks a real life look at your products. I also like to take out big box store lights to compare the difference. But HBL does have a nice catalog so does Creative Displays.

Wholesale price can also varry depending on your volume over the year. I personally buy direct from import companies, this skips the middle man, which means I can sell at wholesale.

As far as grade, you want to look at the wire gage.(i wont be much help for incandescent info) For LED the commercial grade lights are rectified and have coaxle connectors. They are water tight and won't pull apart. They are expensive, but will last for 20 years.
There are a bunch of different residential grade LEd sets, most of which are not very good. We carry two different brands, both which are rectified, one has sealed bulbs, the other you can make custom strands with by moving the bulbs around. We also have the sealed sets not retified for less money. All our sets have a three year warranty and are built with heavier wire.

HBL has sets out this year that are rectified, but I have not seen them, so I can't judge. They put the rectifier in a separate plug.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hotrod- how many seasons do you have in the field on the LED light sets that will last 20 years?

also, pm me on some prices, I'm interested in playing around with your commercial stuff.

I agree with Hotrod on bringing actual product to the home for bids. I also bring the catalog and my portfolio. HBL's noble garland and 4' flat wreat goes with me to every bid, along with 3 different light links. I've also got a 2 foot strand of my c-9 cord and walmart cord to show the difference in c-9's. I carry a clear, transparent color, and color ceramic c-9 bulbs to show the difference, as well so customers know what they are gettting.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Sponsor

Two years on the LED stuff. But I like to force degrade my demo sets by torchering them year round. The bulbs will last longer than 20 seasons, but the components will wear out before then.

Funny thing, I just got an Action Lighting catalog in the mail today... It has lots of pictures, but it also has prices, so I'm not sure it would be a good field catalog.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The HBL catalogs have no prices, and good pictures. excellent field catalog. I've bought from action lighting in the past, be careful with their c-9 cord, kinda iffy.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I currently buy from Village Lighting, but I really wish there were more options and really a place to just go pick them up near by.

I also need to stock up on wreaths and garland... I have not yet bought many LED's.... They have some nice marketing material available at Village..
Old 08-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Sponsor

I'm not sure why i got an action lighting catalog.. Must have signed up for one at some point...

I havn't heard great things about Village Lighting as far as products. I'm also not a fan of other ompanies marketing material, not that it is bad, we can do just as well, and brand our company for the same money. (As far as mailers and flyers)

I dont know anyone in NC that you could hook up with to just go pick up things.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for all the helpful info! How do you guys market the holiday lighting to your customers?
Do you sell them the equipment or rent it to them and you own the stuff?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Sponsor

Renting and selling both work well. You just need to have your system inplace for which ever way you are going to go. There are advantages and disadvantages to both/
We rent everything and it works well.

If you search you will find a bunch of marketing ideas for lights. It has been covered a bunch.