Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2009, 03:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Interested in your supplier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1965 View Post
We carry two different brands, both which are rectified, one has sealed bulbs, the other you can make custom strands with by moving the bulbs around. We also have the sealed sets not retified for less money. All our sets have a three year warranty and are built with heavier wire.
You mentioned that you carry. Meaning you sell them or you buy them and carry them in your inventory? I bought some LEDs from Holiday Light Source and I was disappointed in the look and brightness of the rectified bright white LEDs. I am not sure if it was because they were just not good from them or if that is just the way LEDs look.

I am interested in finding out who you purchase them from. I paid $17 for a set of 25 C7s in LED.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Sponsor

The C7's and the C9 LED light strands are not very good no matter who makes them. You have to go with the retro fit bulbs to get good brightness.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:12 AM
LawnSite Member

OK, so then...

I know that on SPT1 C7 wire I can put about 160 regular 5 watt C7 bulbs and hit about 7 amps. Which I think SPT1 wire is rated for. If I use the C7 retrofit bulbs, which only use about 1 watt, should I (theoretically) be able to run 5 times are many C7 retrofit bulbs in a single run?

160 incandescent bulbs x 5 watts = 800 watts total = about 7 amps
800 retrofit LED bulbs x 1 watt = 800 watts total = about 7 amps

Are my calculations right here or is there something I am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carlos
Holiday Light & Decor
Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Sponsor

You are missing the fact that the wire will have internal resistance. So at some point, you are going to run out of juice. For 18 gage STP1 I think it is around 200 feet or so. Can't say I have any runs over 150 feet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantanalawns View Post
I know that on SPT1 C7 wire I can put about 160 regular 5 watt C7 bulbs and hit about 7 amps. Which I think SPT1 wire is rated for. If I use the C7 retrofit bulbs, which only use about 1 watt, should I (theoretically) be able to run 5 times are many C7 retrofit bulbs in a single run?

160 incandescent bulbs x 5 watts = 800 watts total = about 7 amps
800 retrofit LED bulbs x 1 watt = 800 watts total = about 7 amps

Are my calculations right here or is there something I am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carlos
Holiday Light & Decor
Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think LED retrofits still have full brightness down to 90 volts. below that and they do not work at all. I have heard of guys going 400 feet, but I myself stop at 200. At that legth on my voltage tester with single LED c9 ceramic bulbs ( which I do not reccomend by the way) I measured 102 volts, or a drop of about 18 volts. you probably could go another 50-100 feet, but the newer 5 led bulbs do pull a bit more juice than the older single led's. So I think 200 feet, maybe 250 is about max. There is however, 16, 14, and 12 guage c-9 wire out there, and those should go 100-200 feet further.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is wrong with the ceramic LED? I am getting ready to order a case from HBL to sample for one of my customers who does not like any look but ceramic. We have 500 feet on her roof and would really like to not have to run it to 3 different power sources.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Shade tree,
there is a local importer in Phila, send me a PM and i will send you his name. Been using them for 7 years or more. You can drive over and pick-up and be on your way in 10 minutes.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is the third year on the HBL LED ceramics for me on three properties. I have one that has about 500 bulbs on it, commercial building with all white ceramic , the other two are about 250 bulb residential jobs. The bulbs fail at a pretty strong rate. we replaced close to 75 bulbs on the 500 bulb job, and all were lit at takedown last year. not broken, but out. on the 250's, one is up this year and needed about 50. the other is not up until November.

Obviously replacing 15-20 percent of bulbs is insane, given I have 2, 9 year old clear c-9 glass old style jobs that have well over 1500 bulbs, range closer to 25-50 bulbs replaced at install this year, and most of those got broke while taking down or storing them. i just put up a 3000 plus bulb job with old style bulbs on it's second year, and we replaced 28 bulbs, most broken some "brighties", 3 burnout. 1-2 percent is normal for incandescant, for LED it should be 1/5 to 1/10 that. instead it is 8-10 TIMES that.

The ceramics are not waterproof like the plastic faceted ones are, so I believe that is the failure point. DUH. also, they only have a single LED, so you cannot see them during the day to change out bad ones, even if you cup your hands around them. you can only fix them at night. The white ones are also very dim, probably close to a comparison of 1/2 watt of normal incandescant power.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks David, I was hoping to get LESS burn out and did just assumed that the covers were plastic. I will now look at other options and research further. One diode is not enough. Especially at the cost of the bulb.

I need these lights to pass muster with this customer. She is very particular and if she approves then nobody else will have a problem.

Back to the drawing board. I will let you know what I find.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like we will be sticking with incandescent. I had them, but they are being discontinued from the vendor, so I wont be able to replace them down the road.

They have one that supposedly mimics the incandescent perfectly but it is not replaceable and the socket is more the size of a mini light with a c-9 on it so a roof clip wont hold. I'd also hate to have to replace a 25 string b/c one bulb went out.

I will keep looking but it doesnt look good.