Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-16-2008, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

John Deere 997 diesel

Was at the John deere Dealership this week purchasing some new anti-salp wheels for my 7-Iron deck, and was looking at the JD 997 31hp Yanmar diesel 60 or 72" 7-Iron deck was $13,000 with all options. That is less than the Scag Turf Tiger diesel, and close to the Bad Boy AOS 35HP Cat diesel price.

Is it just me or has John Deere come down on their price's. Thought Bad Boy was "cheap" their top of the line AOS line is priced with the best.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think bad boy is just not that cheap anymore. They are less than some scag and exmark models but price similarly to a lot of other brands' actual selling prices.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I recently ckecked out a scag with a cat diesel 28hp IIRC, and a kubota zd 31..scag was over 15K..kubota was little over 13.5K... Didn't like how high the ZD's seat was....but looked like a stout machine...Scag was nice also just WAY over priced..And please dont say you get what you pay for.......
Old 08-16-2008, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is how I feel about the whole debate, before Bad Boy you were left with a broad spectrum of ZTR manufacture's all claiming to do something?

Bad Boy reminds me of Walker Manufacturing started out like BB, and now hit 100,000 units August 2008, who over the years still have a love hate cult like following. Bad Boy has leveled the midmount playing field ever so quietly how? with strong frames, HD deck construction, well built website for owners to access, biggest line-up of engine manufactures, and widest range of power for the money. Lack of dealerships IMO might be the smartest thing BB did, just the fact I cannot find one locally makes me want one more.

Dealer service: I really started to think about that, in seven years operating I have had zero warranty work, and to this day do 99.9% of our maintenance on our ZTR's. I never really needed to take that drive to the dealer, I just wanted that dealer "fluffing" kissing my Arse for what I just spent on your mower.
Bad Boy website is very well constructed, and you have access to all the mowers technical/service manuals, and can order parts direct.

With the price of fuel I have stopped my casual visits to the dealers, and in reality call to order my ZTR parts when I do need something.

Lets face everything is more expensive, so if you can get a midmout mower with the biggest engine of your choice for a competitive price why not. Brand loyalty, I don't see these other dealers coming off their price's to express their loyalty to ME, heck no! their in the business to make money.

I got to know Retrodog over the phone, and we talked about the green industry, and life in general, he's a intelligent, respectful guy. We tried to hammer a deal out in July for a BB AOS 35 hp Cat diesel 72" deck, and just could not get it done, due to me. Retrodog went out of the way, and offered me a great price, and was willing to let me Demo his personal AOS diesel across state lines. Talk with a Bad Boy dealer, before you make a purchase, and if their anything like Retrodog, you will be impressed with the service they offer, and of course the mowers are impressive, thickest decks in the industry at 1/4", suspension system on AOS & lightning, HD frames that can support that big block diesel or gas power you need Sounds like a SCAG/Ferris priced right

Last edited by nosparkplugs; 08-16-2008 at 12:58 PM.