Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-24-2002, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

question?

hi
im starting out this spring and basically did it over the summer to make some xtra cash cuz i got layed off and im getting married.
anyway all i know hoe to pretty much do is mow lawns,mulch,spring/fall clean ups,pruning,hedging and some basic
desbris removal.my question is i really dont know how to do more detailed landscape work like sodding,seeding,dont have a fertilizer liscense,instlling a new lawn,what do i say to a customer when they ask me to install a new lawn for me(i am not going to advertise those jobs on my fliers) or when they tell me to aerate or dethatch their lawn?i dont want to loose their business cuz i need every customer,do i tell them when we meet and tell them my services?and what im unable to do at this time?cuz i dont want them to go to a more experienced landscaper.i can probably do the aerting and dethatching by renting a machine..i once layed about 8-10 rolls of sod for a friend of mine and it came out really
good he always reminds me that it came out nice.but im not to sure i can do a whole lawn right now...due to the pattern to lay out sod....any advice would greatly be appreciated..

go patriots!!!
Old 01-24-2002, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

If one of my customers asks me about a service that I am not qualified or licensed to offer I give them a name of someone I know that can do it for them. If I do not know anyone for a particular service I tell them I will ask around and get back to them with a name. I feel this is better than saying sorry I don't do that. To me it's just good customer service.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Start small. Don't try to do it all yourself. I would advise against doing any landscape design and install that's really intricate, before you have some training int it. There's a whole lot that can go wrong! Stick with turf management, if you can. Maintain it, ferts, pre-m's, etc. Don't overload yourself or you could end up with a bad name real quick-like.
Old 01-25-2002, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You do not want to be a "Jack of all trades and master of None".

We are pretty much a full service landscape management co. The areas we sub-contract are:
Tree removal - need experienced climber, chipper/truck, bucket truck and stump grinder
Interlocking pavers - need skid steer, tamper, wet saw, chop saw, poss high powered water cutting tool
Irrigation - Need license, ditch witch, vibratory plow, etc.

Also, remember that other companies that specialize in these fields are highly trained, so their quality should be better, and they will definately be able to do the job much faster as this is their area of expertise.

Bob
Old 01-25-2002, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Turfdude- do you know someone using high pressure water to cut concrete? I'd be first in line to get one of those units.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like mentioned above, let your clienst know that you are just starting out in the business. Recomend other landscape contractors or even sub out the work so you can make a profit. As for learning how to do sodding, pavers, etc. You are going to have to take a few courses, go to seminars, read books, watch programs to ge the hang off how to do that type of work. dont be afraid to try things, trial and error was a big part of how i grew my company into a monster.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Diggin- Yes I do. Its a comapny across town from me. All they do is paver work and retaining wall work. Primarily all EP Henry products, but they've also used Anchor and yes even TECHOBLOCK. I saw a piece w/ an eyeshaped hole in the middle and inquired on how it was cut. The piece of stone was 4" thick approx 18" square, and I could slip it over my head. Said cuttin tool made hole in a couple of minutes.
Old 01-29-2002, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Turfdude- next time you see this guy could you find out and let me know who makes such a machine? If a machine could be had that cuts close to the speed of a diamond saw I would be willing to spend several thousand dollars on one.