Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Help with Dogwood Tree's

Hi,
I set out three dogwoods early spring and they did great throughout the summer, even during the hottest part of July with 95 to 100 degree temps.

Now that the weather is starting to get more seasonable one of the tree's look sick like its got the blight

Now I babied these tree's all summer and spring since I set them out and for Good reason, I tried this last year and all three died on me not once but twice so after explaining to the nursery where I bought them what happened they told me what I did wrong last year and what to do different this year which up to now has worked.

Last year I pretty much burned them up right from the start putting Miracle gro potting soil in the ground mixed into fresh soil with the new tree roots plus adding 10.10.10 which I might add was not my idea to start with but uhh women think they know this stuff and no use arguing with um

So this year, the tree's went into the same holes from last year and put the same soil that was already in the ground back around the roots and the only fertilizer that was added was Miracle Gro all purpose plant food mixed with water and pored at the base of the tree once a month (This was done after tree's were in the ground a month). Plus, about a month after we set them out I noticed the Japanese beetles eating on them so we put Bayer Advanced 12 month tree and shrub protection on them which stopped that.

Here's a few pic's as I know you guys will need to determine what it is.

Any help appreciated, is it blight, is it something else, if it is blight will the tree survive and come back out next spring or will it die?
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2008, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

looks like leaf burn to me. did you mix the advance at the correct ratio and apply at the right time of the year,also check that they are not planted to low.I have found its best to lay off the fertilizer the first year plants go in the ground,just some super phoshate for root growth.Dogwoods are swallow rooted tree that cant take root disturbance so they are tough to keep going.hope this helps,but its best to call your county ag. extention agent
Old 08-17-2008, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie boy View Post
looks like leaf burn to me. did you mix the advance at the correct ratio and apply at the right time of the year,also check that they are not planted to low.I have found its best to lay off the fertilizer the first year plants go in the ground,just some super phoshate for root growth.Dogwoods are swallow rooted tree that cant take root disturbance so they are tough to keep going.hope this helps,but its best to call your county ag. extention agent
You mean the bayer advantage? Yea it was mixed right, 1.5 oz to every gallon to 1 inch of diameter of the tree and this was back in April when that was done.

Here's an idea I've been told and wondering if there is any truth to it; mix a cup of tide laundry detergent (with no bleach) to two gallon of water and pore it around the tree?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Kirk ,cant comment on the Tide.You would be better off if you called your extention office ,they are more familiar with growing conditions for your area and have more resources on plant diease.would take the guess work out.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Kirk ,cant comment on the Tide.You would be better off if you called your extention office ,they are more familiar with growing conditions for your area and have more resources on plant diease.would take the guess work out.
Thanks ralphie boy, first thing tomorrow morning
Old 10-17-2008, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
OK, finally got down to the extension office after what a month since my post here

Yea, been busy with family matters but anyway they knew what it was right off the bat and its a disease called "Dogwood Anthracnose"

Here's what they printed off for me:
http://www.ca.uky.edu/agcollege/plan...PFS-OR-W-6.pdf

Now, I was told it would bud next spring but would probably do the same thing again because it will still have the disease and would keep doing it till it killed the tree. So, now I'm just wondering if anyone else here has had similiar experiences and what did they do?
Old 10-18-2008, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

were they grown in a shady environment at the nursery or sunny? could be as simple as a sunburn. its hard for a dogwood to be grown in a shady situation (like many nurseries do) and then find itself in sunny conditions.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscreek View Post
were they grown in a shady environment at the nursery or sunny? could be as simple as a sunburn. its hard for a dogwood to be grown in a shady situation (like many nurseries do) and then find itself in sunny conditions.
I think part of the problem and in my situation the difference between the nurseries and me comes down to water, but thats just my opinion because of what I was told.

I was told just as it says in the link above, overhead water (as from a sprinkler) and the water saying on the leaves and not drying due to the shade will cause the disease.

Next year will be our third try getting dogwoods to grow, no make that five because the first time we killed them right off the bat and was early enough to try again that year.

Think the first two tried was "womens bright idea's" putting 10X10X10 in the hole with the tree and miracle grow potting soil.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

go w/ a kousa next time, they tend to do better overall
Old 10-18-2008, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscreek View Post
go w/ a kousa next time, they tend to do better overall
Hey thanks TC.

I did a quick google and found this:
http://www.greenwoodnursery.com/page.cfm/289

But since you brought it up you have any idea's to other places that have them?

These are 3 feet but the ones I have are 5 feet, one of the three is doing fine so I would like to replace the other two with 5 footers?