Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Mike75 Mike75 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 39
Please Help Me

I am in Oklahoma City and have a lawn that is bermuda. However, it has a serious problem with crabgrass. Because it is mid August, what can I do to get rid of it as soon as possible? If it is not possible to kill it now, what is my best approach? I am also trying to spend as little as possible. I understand that this has been asked before, and I have used the search feature, but I would appreciate the direct answers. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Mike75 Mike75 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 39
Seriously guys?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2008, 03:27 PM
garydale garydale is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland EST
Posts: 813
Spray with Roundup, wait two weeks and spray again.
Then slice seed Improved tall fescue in two directions. water,water and water.

Save your money for three to four years so you can repeat the same process.
Why? because the Bermuda will be back! IMO
__________________
gary crutchfield
www.lawnaideplus.com
po box 630
mount airy, md 21771-0630
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2008, 03:34 PM
VARMIT COMMISSION VARMIT COMMISSION is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: OKLAHOMA CITY
Posts: 547
Home Depot and Lowes carry home owner products that will work just fine for you. Stop by and ask a garden center associate what they have. If your in south okc try marcum's nursery, north try tlc garden center. northeast okc go to lesco, central okc try estes, west okc try tlc garden center. We have a garden center or a home improvement center within a 5 mile center anywhere in okc.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
yardprospraying yardprospraying is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 152
You could just call varmitt and have him spray some drive 75 for you. We are about an hour north of you, or I would help you out.
Good luck,
John..
__________________
...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Joshua 24:15
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Mike75 Mike75 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardprospraying View Post
You could just call varmitt and have him spray some drive 75 for you. We are about an hour north of you, or I would help you out.
Good luck,
John..
Thank you very much for your help. I am actually located in Stillwater, OK. Where are you located? Drive 75 sounds like a great product, but how many times would it need to be applied and how much is each application? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 AM
yardprospraying yardprospraying is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 152
Hi Mike,

We are located in Enid, OK. Drive 75 is an excellent crabgrass post emerge. It is also good on a few other grassy weeds as well as several broadleafs. It is very important to use mso as a surfactant though. We usually have good results with one app.

Another product you can use is msma. It sometimes takes multiple apps of it, plus it can really turn your bermuda yellow in hot temps.

Depending on how big your yard is will determine the amount of drive you need. One pound will treat one acre.

John.
__________________
...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Joshua 24:15
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Mike75 Mike75 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardprospraying View Post
Hi Mike,

We are located in Enid, OK. Drive 75 is an excellent crabgrass post emerge. It is also good on a few other grassy weeds as well as several broadleafs. It is very important to use mso as a surfactant though. We usually have good results with one app.

Another product you can use is msma. It sometimes takes multiple apps of it, plus it can really turn your bermuda yellow in hot temps.

Depending on how big your yard is will determine the amount of drive you need. One pound will treat one acre.

John.
Thank you for the fast reply. I only have 6,000 sq. ft. so it is not very large. Because it is already August 19, should I try and kill the crabgrass now, or should I wait and just put down a pre-emergent in the spring? Will the crabgrass I have now die before next summer or will to come back, therefore is it important that I kill it now? Please point me in the right direction with the timing of things. Thanks again for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2008, 03:55 PM
evergreenedmond's Avatar
evergreenedmond evergreenedmond is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Posts: 310
Crabgrass is an annual weed meaning that if you apply pre emergent in the early spring at the correct rate it will not return next year. This doesn't mean that you won't have to apply a pre emergent every year. You are the only one that can decide if it's worth it to you to use drive 75 or MSMA now to kill the weed or if it's OK to wait until next year to have a weed free yard. It will cost you more to kill it now that it's up than it would have if you would of applied a pre emergent last winter/spring, remember that ounce of prevention pound of cure thing? If it's worth the money to you to kill the crabgrass now then do it, if not wait until next spring.
__________________
BURNT ORANGE MAKES ME PUKE
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2008, 12:53 PM
yardprospraying yardprospraying is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreenedmond View Post
Crabgrass is an annual weed meaning that if you apply pre emergent in the early spring at the correct rate it will not return next year. This doesn't mean that you won't have to apply a pre emergent every year. You are the only one that can decide if it's worth it to you to use drive 75 or MSMA now to kill the weed or if it's OK to wait until next year to have a weed free yard. It will cost you more to kill it now that it's up than it would have if you would of applied a pre emergent last winter/spring, remember that ounce of prevention pound of cure thing? If it's worth the money to you to kill the crabgrass now then do it, if not wait until next spring.
Mike,

Evergreenedmond makes an excellent point. It would be more expensive to kill it now, and just wait and apply pre-emergent in the spring.

Another thing to consider is that if you have more crabgrass than bermuda, it might be a better option to kill it now. That will give your bermuda a chance to fill in those areas where the crab was before it goes dormant this fall. If you decide to spray it, then I would recommend fertilizing as well. If you can go into the fall with a thicker healtheir turf, you will have less chance for weed competition next spring. I would still apply a good pre-emergent herbicide in the spring though, since there is going to be a lot of crab seed laying there to germinate.

John.
__________________
...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Joshua 24:15
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Page generated in 0.10414 seconds with 7 queries