Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK time to start the '08 winterizing thread

Sorry, had to do it.

I have two systems to turn off THIS WEEK (mid August) that called in today. One will be gone until at least November, the other will go on the market because the older lady passed away. They both understand there is still going to be plenty of warm dry weather between now and October. We'll drain now, and b/o later. Little early, but hey, we'll do it.

Compressors will go in for service late this week.

Need to teach tech #2 who is from AZ how to do it. He seems nervous about it.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hope we don't actually blow out until November, but we did talk about it today. it is still to early to even schedule renting a compressor, but we are starting to make plans. My assistant (been the super before the 9 to 18 hole renovation 9 years ago and on site for a total of 30 years) is retiring in October. He will be "around", but wants to be semi-retired, draw social security and play more golf. They have always rented an 800 before. A 600 was the only option last fall and they had a miserable time at it.

I think I'll build a completely separate program for winterization. Change every head to 2 or 4 minutes all on one magic catchall program. I can then change the percentage from 100 to 50 to 25 and let it run one head at a time for............a very long time Maybe one program for each satellite would be better
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
I think I'll build a completely separate program for winterization. Change every head to 2 or 4 minutes all on one magic catchall program. I can then change the percentage from 100 to 50 to 25 and let it run one head at a time for............a very long time Maybe one program for each satellite would be better
I wouldn't know where to begin on blowing out a golf system. Is everything valve-in-head on your course?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
I wouldn't know where to begin on blowing out a golf system. Is everything valve-in-head on your course?
Yes, all valve-in-head. Mostly Toro 750's throwing about 34gpm each. About 60% of my zones are dual heads, and I have around 600 zones (I haven't actually counted 11 satellites. most are 48's, but 2 are 64's and 2 are 56's w/ around 15 zones unused here and there) IF the system will do an initial void in 2-3 hours, I'm thinking another 5 hours or so. It will depend on how much I can actually push with the compressor I end up with. I've never tried to do the actual math.

How many/much AIR moves through a nozzle that moves 34gpm@65psi (btw, all my heads have pressure reducing pilot valves set @ 65psi) I'm told w/ the 600cfm compressor, they could only pop 3-4 heads at a time reliably. I'm wondering if this wasn't a connection restriction. I have a 2" plugged valve off of the 10" main in the pump house and I think I could reach 2 of the 1" QC's with 1" hoses. I could also manage 3 - 1" QC's from near the parking lot. My thought is it might be better to use two machines.........................

When I was a pup working, we always used 2 185's to blow a 4" main that watered almost double what I have here in 6 and 8" mains, BUT we didn't water the rough. I might have more pipe/heads/irrigation here than I did there. I most definitely have more pump/water.
....but still a bargain compared to anything else.
And I NEVER say I told you so out loud.
How many Hats can you wear?
Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy View Post
My thought is it might be better to use two machines.........................
That was my first thought. Get two at opposite ends of the system. But I've never blown out that large of a comm. system, so I wouldn't know. But it sounds good.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Called the rental shop from the lake last wednesday , ordered 2 for 2 months each.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This thread is already boring Why don't you guys just bring back last years thread or the year before that and reread it.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dana, have you seen this one?

http://denver.craigslist.org/tls/802634564.html
Old 08-19-2008, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
This thread is already boring Why don't you guys just bring back last years thread or the year before that and reread it.
You can go back to your 12 months of working and stay out of the winterizing thread then. we're revoking your rights. Have a nice day.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tom View Post
Haven't seen that one, but have seen a few others. I am looking to buy a third one. Maybe a 125 cfm. Even looking on ebay, and surrounding states on craigslist. If not, I'll need to rent one for at least a couple weeks.