Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Green Doctor

I have a question about how you keep the boom at the same height as you walk across a half acre or more?? I have a very similar set up but attached to a Walker Lawn Mower.

BTW FYI the boom pictured is called a wet boom because the Support structure is also the tubing that carries the Spray solution to the nozzles which are directly attached to the boom structure. Dry Booms will have hoses attached to the support structure for transporting the spray solution to the nozzles which are attached to mounting braces that attached to the Boom structure.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The top of my chemical resistant boots is about 18". So I hold the boom right below the top of the boot. It is also very seldom that I do a lawn over 1/2 acre on foot. Lawns 1 acre and above are done with a boom on the truck.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Green Doctor

I have a lot of respect for your knowledge, But this is one place I have trouble agreeing with you. I would need some kind of height control. A set of wheels or something. But I do free hand a wand when pulling hose. I think the big differences is I apply 5 gal a thousand which gives me lots of wiggle room. I believe you are applying some where closer to ONE gallon per thousand with your set up.

AS for truck Boom sprayer, My soil is so sandy the truck would rut the turf. Add in our 55 inches of rain and it is Mud Bogging. But I have a older Toro Multi Pro off a Golf Course that I use for large properties. BTW it has a 25 GPM pump which is bigger than my D 30 on my Ant Spray Pick up truck. I have tried running a boom-less nozzle off the D 30 and was unhappy with the results. I like a lot of Carrier and the D 30 doesn't put out enough volume to keep me happy.

But as I told Larry in an other thread, Equipment choice is a matter of opinion and any thing that works is good to go and not wrong.

BTW in Florida Heat I use 6 inch high spray boots and still change Soaks several times a day.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric: I have the same setup as Greendoctor; just a smaller tank. The walking boom covers 5' on mine. Me thinks that just practice, practice and more perfect practice doing it correctly every time makes the use permanent. Very seldom use anything else unless its a tractor; then as you said keeping it uniform on the back of the tractor with stationary holders is mandatory. The walking speed was somewhat a concern in the beginning and using a watch to keep pace helped until I knew how fast to walk. It takes longer to mix than spray and using these things around flower bed, trees, or foundation plantings is a nonn-issue. My walking speed is 1 minute 30 second for each thousand square feet; and still use a marking fluid. However I do like to spray very early in the morning when the sprinkler system has done its work and can see the footprint on the grass which is almost as good as the marking fluid. Greendoctor has a zen thing for these matters and can almost float 16" above the ground.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Ric: I have the same setup as Greendoctor; just a smaller tank. The walking boom covers 5' on mine. Me thinks that just practice, practice and more perfect practice doing it correctly every time makes the use permanent. Very seldom use anything else unless its a tractor; then as you said keeping it uniform on the back of the tractor with stationary holders is mandatory. The walking speed was somewhat a concern in the beginning and using a watch to keep pace helped until I knew how fast to walk. It takes longer to mix than spray and using these things around flower bed, trees, or foundation plantings is a nonn-issue. My walking speed is 1 minute 30 second for each thousand square feet; and still use a marking fluid. However I do like to spray very early in the morning when the sprinkler system has done its work and can see the footprint on the grass which is almost as good as the marking fluid. Greendoctor has a zen thing for these matters and can almost float 16" above the ground.
Can you give the specifics of your boom setup. Is it a 3 nozzle setup, which nozzles, what psi & etc.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just like in photo--5' with T-Jet bodies and Air Induction tips. I have three sets of different outputs. Pressure depends on fertilize or Fungicide. Fertilizer which is a much heavier mix is put down at 4000-45 PSIG and AI Tip to give 3.5GPM. Fungicides are put down at 80PSIG with finer tip to give me an application of 4.5GPM. The AI tips come is ceramic, SS or Plastic. I use the SS.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the boom part figured out from the tee on.

Do you use the same gun, regulator & extension on the shrub setup for the boom? I am guessing the shrub nozzle quick-disconnects at the end of the extension and then you connect the boom on?

Do you think a non-motorized backpack would create enough pressure for 3 nozzles to put out 1/2 gal per K?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=ArTurf;4314881]I have the boom part figured out from the tee on.

Do you use the same gun, regulator & extension on the shrub setup for the boom? I am guessing the shrub nozzle quick-disconnects at the end of the extension and then you connect the boom on?

Do you think a non-motorized backpack would create enough pressure for 3 nozzles to put out 1/2 gal per K?

My shrub work is so minimal that I use a watering can to fertilize them, and my back pack for insecticides.
I do not think you could keep up enough pressure with a hand powered back pack with three nozzles drawing from the tank.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
I have the boom part figured out from the tee on.

No, different gun and extension for the twin nozzles, but same regulator. I once tried running 3 nozzles from a manual backpack. The only nozzles that would work were too fine and diffused to be practical for lawns. I had to use only 2 at a time. Even then, I would have to pump furiously trying to maintain pressure. This is why I appreciate the engine driven backpacks so much. They will maintain enough pressure to apply 1 gallon per 1000. Those AI nozzles that I like to use were designed to operate at pressures above what a manual sprayer can produce. Another point is how easy it is to just walk when there is no need to pump. Mind you that the machines typically hold up to 7 gallons. But I am really small and have no problems handling the weight.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
No, different gun and extension for the twin nozzles, but same regulator. I once tried running 3 nozzles from a manual backpack. The only nozzles that would work were too fine and diffused to be practical for lawns. I had to use only 2 at a time. Even then, I would have to pump furiously trying to maintain pressure. This is why I appreciate the engine driven backpacks so much. They will maintain enough pressure to apply 1 gallon per 1000. Those AI nozzles that I like to use were designed to operate at pressures above what a manual sprayer can produce. Another point is how easy it is to just walk when there is no need to pump. Mind you that the machines typically hold up to 7 gallons. But I am really small and have no problems handling the weight.
I thought I was about as small as they came until I saw where you mentioned how small you were. I'm 5'9" and around 150 lbs. A man's ability to do work is more about mental attitude than physical abilities. I'm sure you know many who are far physically stronger than you yet claim to not be able to perform tasks you do without blinking.

What pressures are you applying herbicide/fert? I think I read 40 or so in one of your posts.

7 gallons!! That's a pretty good load.