Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2000, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone use a steiner mower? how practical are they for actual use in our field, since they do a little bit of everything, even though they are quite expensive? How much more productive mowing are they as compared to a ZTR of the same size and the fact that u can almost buy two ZTR's for the price of one steiner and mower deck? <p>----------<br>Stephen<br>
Old 01-09-2000, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used a Steiner for several different tasks. Aerating, Fertilizing/Weed Control, Shredded Bark Installation, Tree/Shrub Transportation and others. I'm impressed with how well it can do so many tasks.<p>I would not mow with one.
Old 01-10-2000, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I acquired a steiner when I bought another company out.(had no choice, wanted the accounts) I cut with it for as long as it took to sell it. It has great attachments and all but i would reccomend getting a separate piece of equipment for the other stuff and get a mower for cutting. The steiner is very slow and awkward to use for cutting. IT WILL NOT make you money cutting.<br>My 2 cents <br>Mark<p>
Old 01-10-2000, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am considering getting a Steiner next year for doing loader work, aeration, and mowing of rough and hilly properties. I have two Walkers now so it wouldn't be used for &quot;good&quot; lawns. Many farmers near me have them for in chicken barns and they work very well and do a respectable job on lawns but not manicured ones. I'm considering building a stump grinder to front mount like the one they sell (can$3800) for extra fall work. I know someone who has two of them set up for rough mowing around barns and he does it all summer long as a business.
Old 01-10-2000, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I aquired a steiner when I bought another company out.(had no choice, wanted the accounts) I cut with it for as long as it took to sell it. It has great attachments and all but i would reccomend getting a separate piece of equipment for the other stuff and get a mower for cutting. The steiner is very slow and awkward to use for cutting. IT WILL NOT make you moeny cutting.<br>My 2 cents <br>Mark
Old 01-11-2000, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a steiner mower last year, a 220 model with very low hrs. for the age & was well taken care of.Alot of the bigger guys in our city use steiners, & love them. Like any mower, they have their place. The steiner can have multiple places in your company 'cause of all the attatchments you can buy. However, it depends on you, the buyer. Are you a strictly mowing co.? Then a steiner isn't for you,unless it for a real good price, in which you can then expand into other side applications.<br>My 220 has a top speed of 11 mph, a hi & low range for hills, & will mow across the side of a hill better than ANY Zero turn- I've tried most of them. It leaves a nice cut too, & yes you can do heavier cutting with it, if you have too; plus with all the attatchments out there, you can take on more diverse acct.s,'cause you can do more than just mow for them, bringing in more $$ per customer, & give you things to do when it's the middle of summer & the grass isn't growing.<br> As far as price goes, I couldn't afford a new one either. That's why I bought a used one. Don't buy one if you need a mower only; buy it as an investment tool that will help with alot of grounds care needs. It leaves stripes like no other mower, too, which makes a nice statement on your acct.'s.
Old 01-11-2000, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Take a look at the Ventrac Series 4000 Similar to the Steiner S-20 420 430 tractors. (Made by the people that Originally built Steiner Tractors!) Also most of the attachments swap with each other.<p>Take a look at www.venturepro.com