Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Mike M Mike M is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,795
new guy to irr

I've been going at it with landscape lighting for the last year, and I also have about 22 full-service landscape accounts on the side. This summer was brutal for lighting, and I've been exploring ways to diversify, expand, add-on, etc.

I learned some basic irrigation while destroying it with my spade. Today I bought a Toro controller to replace my repeatedly faulty Hunter, and decided to add a dedicated drip zone for my plants, including a new valve. My distributor always takes the time to teach me how to do this stuff, and I enjoy irrigation immensely. At the dismay of my wife, I can watch rotors/rotars for hours and I love how the large scale commercial systems run on the golf courses.

Since moving south, I taught myself how to do basic stuff with irrigation for my lawn accounts. Now I am ready to learn more, but I want to know more about business strategies at this point.

Where is the profitable business model for service calls--in annual maintenance contracts or in specific repairs as needed?

Any help with business info on service calls would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 PM
FIMCO-MEISTER's Avatar
FIMCO-MEISTER FIMCO-MEISTER is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Red State America
Posts: 18,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I've been going at it with landscape lighting for the last year, and I also have about 22 full-service landscape accounts on the side. This summer was brutal for lighting, and I've been exploring ways to diversify, expand, add-on, etc.

I learned some basic irrigation while destroying it with my spade. Today I bought a Toro controller to replace my repeatedly faulty Hunter, and decided to add a dedicated drip zone for my plants, including a new valve. My distributor always takes the time to teach me how to do this stuff, and I enjoy irrigation immensely. At the dismay of my wife, I can watch rotors/rotars for hours and I love how the large scale commercial systems run on the golf courses.

Since moving south, I taught myself how to do basic stuff with irrigation for my lawn accounts. Now I am ready to learn more, but I want to know more about business strategies at this point.

Where is the profitable business model for service calls--in annual maintenance contracts or in specific repairs as needed?

Any help with business info on service calls would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Really really bad timing. Can't you hear the distant cannonballs?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnemucca, Nevada
Posts: 20,579
"Fire when ready Gridley"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 PM
CAPT Stream Rotar's Avatar
CAPT Stream Rotar CAPT Stream Rotar is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, Ma
Posts: 5,466
Welcome aboard Mike..

enjoy this group, we are a lively bunch...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Winnemucca, Nevada
Posts: 20,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I can watch rotars for hours
Let us know if you learn anything.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Mike M Mike M is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,795
I tend to overlook the learning part, ask multiple similar questions, and seem to miss everyone's points.

But I'll let you know.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2008, 08:20 PM
CAPT Stream Rotar's Avatar
CAPT Stream Rotar CAPT Stream Rotar is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, Ma
Posts: 5,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I tend to overlook the learning part, ask multiple similar questions, and seem to miss everyone's points.

But I'll let you know.
check out my poly vids.....

its how us yanks sprankle
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 PM
irritation's Avatar
irritation irritation is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT Stream Rotar View Post
check out my poly vids.....

its how us yanks sprankle
I guess I have alot of rebel in me, that's not how we "sprankle".
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-19-2008, 08:32 PM
CAPT Stream Rotar's Avatar
CAPT Stream Rotar CAPT Stream Rotar is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, Ma
Posts: 5,466
I swear to god brandon said to me..

"eddie, how you gona sprankle this hill"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-19-2008, 08:37 PM
irritation's Avatar
irritation irritation is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,556
Maybe you were hungover and thinking about waitresses.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 PM.

Page generated in 0.10188 seconds with 7 queries