Old 12-31-2002, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
responces

"If you're stupid, you deserve to suffer"
Old 12-31-2002, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OK got a few who wanted cheap weedcontrol and nothing else.

40,000 coupons and 7 calls and 3 jobs. just barrily covered the cost to put them out.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We did 10k Val Pak this spring with 2 offers. One on each side for sprinklers and fert.

2 redemptions and they were from exisiting customers that it didn't apply tooo, but they deducted it from their bill.

Now these advertising genius' tell you yopu gotta repeat, repeat, repeat which is true. But you gotta show me the money before I repeat. And it is a pain cause if you follow all their suggestions and it doesn't work, tough noogies. They don't care and they wanna get paid just like a doctor.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

we pay 349.00 for every 20,000 to go out that is not much i only had 3 jobs i bid that i did not get but one is in the richest part of town and has already signed up for next year. we can see what this year brings we are adding something else to coupon and should help on are fert jobs.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys, Try this thread... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...threadid=37955

That's about a yellow page ad, but all advertising follows the same basic formula.... Target and personlize as much as possible... Always test before you actually "roll out" the entire advertising budget...

A good ad will show results immediately! There should be an immediate "Pop" if the ad is good, then a few more the next few days... then lucky if any after 7 days...

But remember... Advertising is mostly about timing!!! You can't sell ice to an eskimo... so even though you would rather, don't expect good results for lawn care in the winter... Better to flood the market right as Spring in springing....

Spring warmth is to landscape like Christmas is to retailers!!!!

Good Luck, Clay
Old 01-01-2003, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I look at it this way-If you do nothing you will get nothing in return

Sometimes my direct mail responses are very poor,but at least some work is generated and in turn you are promoting your business constantly.

I think you should use as many forms of advertising as possible

We use:

1. yellow pages

2.the local community newspaper

3. direct mail

4.our customers refer us to their friends

5.good signs on trucks

you might be the best contractor in your area have the best equipment and have great staff but unless people hear about you or see some form of advertising to inform them of what you do you might as well stay home and watch TV
Old 01-01-2003, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Please do not take this reply as being conceited, because it is not.
Do you guys advertise due to the competition in your area??
I ask, because in 20 years of maintenance, I never advertised. No yellow pages, no truck signs, no mass mailings......my business is not even listed in the white pages. I had 1000 business cards made up once....now they are used for scratch paper. ALL my customers, including commercials have been referrals. I think when I was 17 or 18, I maybe put out 100 or so fliers in driveways of affluent homes. Im in CT, and I see a ton of other guys around. Im not sure what my secret is, even if there is any. I do good work, am friends with all my customers, and am mildly expensive. Im beginning to think customer realtions is the most important aspect going on here.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Ken...

You are 100% correct!!! Networking is the very best (and cheapest form of advertising!) I know a little about advertising, but built and sold 8 businesses in 12 years basically just as you have described....

"If you are the best at what you do, you will always have plenty of customers!"

You are obviously doing things right... congratulations!

Clay
Old 01-01-2003, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

I think that is great that your business is at a level where you don't actively advertise.(referals excepted)

I increase my prices every year, there are always customers who look only at price and don't want their lawns cut at the frequency that we would like to cut them.Also as I gain customers in my target areas I sell my customers that are further out as I spend extra time travelling.At the moment my target suburb has 3500 houses,I have 125 properties that I service in that one area.

In the my target commercial district we service 46 properties all within a 10 km radius.

By consistantly compacting my business into certain target areas I reduce my travelling and down time.By selling customers in outer areas it gives me a lump sum to invest in equipment,advertising etc.

The benefits of working or targeting areas are numerous,(especially if a customer reschedules or postpones) as I am always in the area .
Old 01-01-2003, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Andrew,

Very good plan.... I ended up (as you) after a few years locating all my customers in a little section of Vegas. It was great to pull into a cul-de-sac and do all the homes on the street... profit really soars!!!

I now live in a small town on the Oregon coast so every account is within a short distance... :-)

Do you have a set percentage for raising prices every year? And do you raise the new customers that have been there less than a year? I am curious as I plan on setting some type of annual increase across the board...

Thanks in advance, Clay