Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2008, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thinking about adding power washing

Someone gave me a $600.00 Ryobi Pressure washer that is two years old and wasnt working because it sat for so long. All it needed was an O-ring. I thought about selling it but would like to try and give sidewalks and driveway services a shot.
My question is what will I need? Craigslist has 55 gallon white drums for $5.00 each right now so I figured I could use that for water. With the drain being on the bottem of the tank, will that be enough pressure coming from the tank to the washer? How are these usually setup? Will 55 gallons handle small driveway and sidewalk jobs?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No, 55 gallons is not enough. Unless you have a hose going to it to replenish as the level drops, then it might. How many gpm is the washer? If it is less than 4 gpm, it will be useless for commercial work. To clean concrete and be profitable at it, you will want a surface cleaner....depending on the specs of your machine, it may not be able to run a surface cleaner.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is 2.7 GPM and 3000 PSI. What about two 55 gallon drums and the good old fashion house cleaning for a few realestate agents to get me started?
If this would be suitable, what basic cleaners would be good to spray down the house before washing?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

why couldn't you just hook a hose up to it?? For commercial work-this machine just won't hold up--it'll prob. make you your $$$ back (even though it didn't cost you $600), but long term-it just won't last--But I'm puzzled why you want the drums? to mix chemicals or something?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it wont last long, but it cost me about $3.00 for the washer and another $10.00 for two 55 gallon drums. Im just asking if this would be a good way to put my foot in the door for some year round work.
I want the drums for water. Mainly because I dont want to use the customers water and second is that I know a few real-estate agents. Water might not be turned on at most vacent houses on the market.
Would you say 110 gallons is enough for a house?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenf View Post
I know it wont last long, but it cost me about $3.00 for the washer and another $10.00 for two 55 gallon drums. Im just asking if this would be a good way to put my foot in the door for some year round work.
I want the drums for water. Mainly because I dont want to use the customers water and second is that I know a few real-estate agents. Water might not be turned on at most vacent houses on the market.
Would you say 110 gallons is enough for a house?
I have been pretty many power washing jobs and i am doing a 2 story house this sat, why not use the customers water? I havent had a single person tell me i couldnt and ive done about 8 houses and a few patios so far. I have a surface cleaner and a 4000 4gpm pw and many hrs of doing homework so im getting pretty good. Put it this way if you are going to take your own water you better have enough because if you do run out your in trouble if you leave bleach or something on someones siding for to long!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sell the Pressure washer and buy some flyers or doorhangers to sell some more lawns. Probably make more than trying to clean with that machine. Without knowing HOW to clean, the type/size of your pressure washer won't matter.
Awesome Pressure Washing and Great Cleaning Service
Follow us on Facebook.. facebook.com/powerwash