Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2008, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dump trailer functionality?

I am kicking around the idea of a dump trailer, and there appear to be many fine units out there. There also seems to be a wide range in design, which makes picking the right one quite a challenge. I would like to hear from fellas that have them, and how they work for them.

Some questions I have are.
Do you have to dump all your material on the ground, or shovel it out as needed? I like the coal chute on my dump truck as I can just funnel material into a wheel barrow, or loader bucket. I would hate to always dump stone on the ground. I see no other option with the deck height of the dump trailer.

Do you find that the dump trailer can be a pain sometimes as getting it to a dump location does not always work out due to its size and unweildy character?

Can you scoop material out of the dump trailer using a mini skid, or bobcat to keep from dumping the material on the ground, or are the dumps not strong enough for this?

If you really get down to it, do you save money by having the dump? I mean with the added fuel to tow it over a conventional trailer, and inconvenience of loading machinery into it due to its high deck height, the added wear and tear pulling a big load, over just paying a delivery charge thoughout the year to get material to your site?

I go back and forth, but it always seems if you need something like a dump trailer, you might be better off with a medium duty truck with a 14 foot contractor bed...

I would love to hear thoughts, or experiences from those who have owned these units. Are there uses I am not considering that make them a great aid.

Thanks
SB
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-24-2008, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you were in the "Hurricane Belt", that is about all you see after a storm. For every semi being loaded there are about 6 of the Big Tex gooseneck dumps. One storm pays for the trailer.

After the storms, people use them for hauling mulch and other materials. I've seen quite a few hauling a skidsteer so it can't be too bad.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love mine wouldnt trade it for anything. I have a load trail 14' gooseneck
Old 08-24-2008, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

if you are mainly a construction based company get the med duty truck. If you're only going for occasionally use the dump trailer would be the ticket.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A Low Profile dump trailer realy isnt that high. Some have ramps for loading equipment. Can even get fold down sides for loading pallets of product.

I like the deckovers..little higher, but I can fit in tighter places with it....
Old 08-24-2008, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As said, get a low-profile dump trailer. I don't really like the deck-overs.... The LPs are so easy to work out of. You don't have to dump the mulch or soil if you don't want- you can scoops out of the back. I ramp up into it with a wheelbarrow to dump debris. I have a Toro Dingo also and it dumps over the side of it just fine.

It can be tight in places but I have had no problems so far- just take it easy.... Get a 10,000# or above cause the weight of the trailer alone is heavy and you want to be able to load it up to the GVWR, minus the tare weight.... Make sure you have truck big enough to haul it WITH trailer brakes. My Bri-Mar has ramps underneath that are awesome!

Charge deliver for easy mulch dump jobs and such... I pull mine with a f-550 dump, but be sure if you have a larger truck (say a F-450 and above with a 12,000# plus trailer) you won;t need a CDL. I had to get mine just because of a measly 2,000#s.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

perfectearth is on target..I use a small 6yd when needed but have been looking at gooseneck rolloff type with dual axles that way can get some extra boxes if needed..a trailer doesn't cost you if it seat at the shop for six month like a dump truck will. You can still haul equipment on them load and unload from side and can have a chute built on one.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love mine I have 12' 12000 lb low deck .I was Jading my 8000lb EX in the box. It low to load wheel barrows off the back but we would drive up on ramps so we could dump load. I can dump into my skidsteer bucket. I can scoop dirt out with my EX . Ive pulled 5 yards of stone with it 'around 19000lb The guy at the stone yard used the 5 yard bucket not the 3 yard bucket. JP makes a 14' dump that sits very low. My dump is 28" off the ground with 7' ramps I have a 16' flat bed now for the skid and the EX.I have a ford LCF L45 16000lb .I have 10000 lb plates on the trailers to stay under 26000lbs (No CDL) I dont no why i never had a dump trailer before. I have 2 12' 12000lbs and 1 10' 7000 lbs . I get mine used I have my eye on a 12' for sale if it gos cheep i will grab it up. The trailer is a pain to pull every day .I love my dump truck two.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, you guys are pretty persuasive. I would have to go with a tag, and I would want a 14-16k unit, ideally with a 16 foot bed, 14 as a min. I looked at one brand today locally, and it was a Nomanco. I was not impressed. To me it seemed very light duty as far as the bottom and sides. It did not look reinforced for heavy work.

What units are proven winners in this class?
From what I have read the Baker Built is a beast, but I am not sure they are in business anymore.
The Moritz looks tough, as well as Brimar, PJ, Liberty, Felling, Suretrac. Is there any other brands I should consider?

I think having a heavy duty floor would be a big plus, I just do see 10 gauge lasting long. Any thoughts on what to look for reinforcement wise, low deck height and things of this nature would be wonderful.

Thanks again fellas!
SB
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a bri-mar tag along and a load trail gooseneck and wouldnt trade either one... we can easily scoop material out with a bobcat.. i definately would avoid a deck over i know a few people that have em and they hate them