Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is interesting that the dealer has so much trouble charging up the batteries. He told me that you could drain the battery, drive a thousand miles, and the battery would still not be charged enough with the trickle to dump a load..... Sounded odd to me. I can not imagine anyone buying these things if they were that much of a problem to dump.

Is the PJ really at about 30" deck height? That sounds almost as tall as a deck over. My equipment hauler is about 25". With a 2 foot dove tail and 5 foot ramps, it can still be a belly drag if I have to load a Super Z, or have my backhoe hanging off the tractor. I can not imagine 30" with no dove tail and a six foot ramp.

Off the subject a bit, but what do you guys do with all your hand tools, or bed egers/compactors and stuff when you haul your dump trailers? Do you guys fabricate some racks that do not rise with the dump.

Any other thoughts or experiences.
SB
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-04-2008, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Brook View Post
Off the subject a bit, but what do you guys do with all your hand tools, or bed egers/compactors and stuff when you haul your dump trailers? Do you guys fabricate some racks that do not rise with the dump.

Any other thoughts or experiences.
SB
i made wood sides for my dump and made hand tool racks and i strap down bed egders and other tools using the d-rings in the trailer
Old 09-04-2008, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I just ran out and measured my P.J. From the ground to the floor is almost 30". My ramps are 6'. Like I said before, you can tilt the trailer up to reduce the height and incline.

As far as tools, I put them between the beams of the goose neck and strap them in.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I checked into the 14 ft Hilsborro dump trailer...very nice looking trailer. Best price I found was $8600 plus tax..... Wow!

Thanks for your input on your equipment holding ideas, I really appreciate it.

I will try to go see some units when time permits.

Thanks
SB
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-06-2008, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another vote for PJ.
Wheelbarrow will fit under when dump is down, material can be shoveled into wheelbarrow.
ramps are very heavy duty, we haul mini-X, bobcat, or compact tractors when necessary, never had any problems loading or unloading.
Battery stays charged off of trucks, dealer must have a dead cell in his battery. If battery starts to sound weak, 90% of the time just driving to and from gravel pit, mulch pile, etc. will charge the battery enough for the next dump
Power down definately- especially if you are not dumping the whole load- dump comes down REAL fast with a half load of stone left in trailer.
The only real bad point I have found with mine- dual axles will tear turf if you need to turn short on a customers property, sometimes I wish I had a dump truck for those situations where we have to back in tight to a house then turn the corner as we get to the back lawn. We always end up repairing a little turf.
For what its worth-
Matt.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I love my PJ Trailer. Very good quality and ZERO troubles. It's a 2007 that I bought new and still has the battery that can with the trailer and I use this trailer year around - so from -20 C. to +30 C . Paint is getting a little worn due to use but a little metal brush and some trem-clad and shes good for the next seasons use. No problems with bearings and such as I maintain them with a little grease now and again. The power up and power down works great.
This is the single best piece of equipment I have every bought for my company !! Once you have a dumpper, you wonder why you didn't buy one sooner. It's only a 5x10 tt trailer but I put 2 ft. sides on it and it works super slick !!! Just the right size for getting into tight areas and still carries a good size loads.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great White Services View Post
I love my PJ Trailer. Very good quality and ZERO troubles. It's a 2007 that I bought new and still has the battery that can with the trailer and I use this trailer year around - so from -20 C. to +30 C . Paint is getting a little worn due to use but a little metal brush and some trem-clad and shes good for the next seasons use. No problems with bearings and such as I maintain them with a little grease now and again. The power up and power down works great.
This is the single best piece of equipment I have every bought for my company !! Once you have a dumpper, you wonder why you didn't buy one sooner. It's only a 5x10 tt trailer but I put 2 ft. sides on it and it works super slick !!! Just the right size for getting into tight areas and still carries a good size loads.
U relize this thread is 2 1/2 yrs old????
Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Is that a problem ???
Old 04-22-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

well i was going to add to this post but i guess no one cares after 2-1/2 years
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 04-22-2011, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammon landscaping View Post