Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-12-2008, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wire at the base of a tree

Right, extra wire at the base of the tree is a good idea for all the reasons mentioned, and one more....

Last week I serviced one of my jobs and found a downlight's wire stretched much too tightly. The cause? I had run the wire run up the tree on the OUTSIDE of a bent branch and over a root whose growth is limited by rock ledge. The wire had grown tight because there was no where for it to go as the branch and root grew in diameter. The absolute height of the fixture remained the same but the distance the wire had to travel increased considerably, particularly at the root that could not swell downward because of the ledge.

It's always in the details!!! I should spend more time thinking like a tree. In this case, I was so pleased of the clever way I'd hidden the wire from view that I completely missed considering how the tree will grow.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Be Original

There was a good thread on tree lights going but it got deleted for some reason. No idea why. I hear it was mentioned that the Yoke and toolless design was original to a NEW fixture shown.

No idea where that came from considering this fixture is several years old in design now.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

That very much reminds me of the Nightscaping Artisan Fixture. Different materials of course, but similar concept.
Attached Images

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 05-04-2010, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Didn't Mike G. have a hand in designing the Artisan?

Of course, his own looks sturdier. No compromises.

But I liked the screws on the prototype James showed us better. More ergonomic.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

James I see a clear difference in the postings.

Gregg it is just to show that the Yoke and toolless design James showed us is not original. I heard he asked to see another fixture with this feature and I obliged. I dont care who came up witht he yoke idea but a toolless yoke is nothing new obviously.

The vista pathlight thread is a troubleshooting threat. The original poster mentioned vista but its pretty clear that particular trouble shooting and socket solution is not brand specific.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Billy, there is no difference in the posting. Both show a product that is not a sponsor of this forum, both show images that have a watermark on the photo leading viewers to a source (even though you cannot purchase those prototypes I showed but you can purchase MG product) and both discuss features of the product.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
Didn't Mike G. have a hand in designing the Artisan?

Of course, his own looks sturdier. No compromises.

But I liked the screws on the prototype James showed us better. More ergonomic.
As I hear it from Mike he helped design the artisian about 12 yrs ago.

As far as who originated the yoke design I have seen it ever since I can rememeber in everything from track lighting to theater lighting fixtures.

James, Lets agree to disagree and move forward.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
I still provide a loop at the base of the tree, but I've heard on a couple of occasions that a tree grows from the top and it doesn't take your fixture higher. Haven't ever tested the theory though.
Yeah, ever seen the branches move up a tree? The tree grows thicker while the top grows up. So the tree grows around the screw/bolt, but won't require more wire.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

do you have any issues with wildlife cutting or chewing the wire?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Another reason to leave wire at the base of the tree: if the limb you mounted you light on is no longer viable (died, growth below obscures the light, trimmed/broke off, etc.)

I have had many issues with squirrels in my market. You can often design around them. That is, when installing the tree wires (I use the same methods Chris mentioned...stainless screws, ty-rap eyelet zip ties and 1/4" hanger bolts) run wires where it will not be convenient for the rodents (sometimes its rats) to sit and chew on them. Don't go through the "Y" in a branch, go below or over it. Don't run the wire on top of the limbs, run on the sides. In other words, if a squirrel can sit and reach the wire, it's in the wrong spot.

Sometimes, the darn things sit on the fixture and chew the wire (while warming their nuts I presume). I've resorted to braided stainless hose cover from the fixture mount to the fixture in the case of the Vista 2237 and others I've used in the past. You can pick it up at the automotive store. Slip it over the wire (because it got chewed in half) before repairing it, and it will be encased in stainless as seen in the photo below. (That light was installed before I started using hanger bolts on all tree lights 5-6 years ago, for those of you who like to point out inconsistency of my statements )

Squirrels gnawing on the glare shield of aluminum fixtures (ground or tree mount) is a whole 'nuther issue that I haven't sorted out yet.
Attached Images

Andy Thomas CLVLT #1058 COLD #1321
Owner, Viewpoint Lighting
www.ViewpointLighting.com