Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2008, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

flow through worm beds designs

i finally ready to commit to raising a worm bin of my own and making my own cast for my tea, im tired of dealing with sediment problems in my brewer"in free suspension" and small fungal complexes with my current supply

i would like to build a small flow through bin may be 4 x 4 or something
what i really need help with is the design for the grate at the bottom and how to built it so to do it right, a hand crank method would be perfect but if somebody has a better idea I'm all ears too

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

2 screens offset?
Compost does a soil good!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

kiril,
yes, but what is the best way to set that up and work that correctly
Old 08-26-2008, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I want to do the same exact thing. I built my own compost bin from pallets, but from what i've been reading is there anything better for the lawn than worm castings? I want to build say a 3' x 3' drawer style bin. From what I've seen on some of the commercial ones, all the drawers have screened out bottoms for the worms to climb up thru, and the castings to fall thru. I've been thinking of using llke 1"x 6" stock for the drawer sides and 1/4" hardware cloth for the bottoms. I think what I have to do is build the bottom drawer say 3'x3' square. Then the next one maybe a few inches shorter on all sides to fit inside of the drawer underneath. Maybe with a couple of short "legs" on the corners of the top two drawers so they sit on top and inside one another. Make any sense???? I'll try to draw some type of scetch. If you've seen any of these worm condo type things: you know what i want to build, except out of wood.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry for the crude drawing:
Old 08-26-2008, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

actualy its only one skreen large holes 2x2 inches......
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2008, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

sediment is a thing that happens, worms have a gizzard that needs grit to grind up there feed! we have to add sand or they are slow to do there thing(eat) those small bins are real cute but you will need a little more space.

my favorite worm hotel is just a plastic shelf (HD) with 5 shelfs. just add some sides and thats it, 30 sqft of worm bed in a 6sqft foot print, that or just do it correctly. we have 3 sizes of bed module that we sell 4 foot 8 foot and a 16 foot stainless, the stainless is super big$$$ we have almost 80K into our 2 large stainless beds, and they will pay off in 1 more year!!!!
Old 08-26-2008, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

tree,

could you hook a up fellow gardener with any info on the best way to agitate/scrape the bottom screen?
pm me if you want
thanks C.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

look its real easy, it just takes a lot of tinkering, and I got a whole fleet of free thinkers, college types , traders of info, and it was still a real challenge to get it all together, even the Angle of the scraper bar can mean live or dead worms. the way they get feed, the whole thing is a real load of variables. if I had it to do all over, I would just raise the money and pay for a system. we have set someone up just south of us, all new gear, I mean the works, from end to end, another chick! she has a start up 2 month old gig with 280 new clients, she is Killing em. and the income potential is staggering, 40 k in equipment and trucks to get going and its all set up and working.

so the long and short of this is, diy is king but also take a look at the time and extra parts it takes, some times its easier to just get an off the shelf set up, and cheaper.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

but that would take all the fun out of it! lol
i get your point and expected that kind of response, but i'd thought i'd ask any how's,
wallet is tight right now, new biz getting established and my beautifully 8 year old daughter needs new shoes and such

diy right?

will a big wench work? jk