Register free!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Core Aeration Now??? Too early?

This question is for you guys in the southern states....with all the rain from Faye, is it too early to start aerating and overseeding? The ground is perfect but what about the timing? Heat?
Let me know if any of you are starting this early or when do you plan to. I'd love to get a jump start on aerating but I know that the existing lawns are going to really jump with all this rain.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not an answer to your question, a question for you:
Have you guys gotten enough rain to have the drought status lifted or are you still short of your averages?
My wife and I were down to Topsail Island at the end of June and the forest fires were still burning. The fields looked bad too.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't seen an update on the status....last week we were still in the Extreme catagory but Faye brought us over 4" of rain (Charlotte area) in the past 72 hours with another 2+ predicted. There are areas in NC & SC that have recorded over 8" in that same period. It's been perfect here. Steady rains for 3 days. Of course, we are not able to mow and in many areas we have flooding but we are NOT COMPLAINING!!!! The ground is going to be soft and perfect for aerating and I already have over 70 aerations booked. Unfortunately, now we are behind the 8-ball as far as mowing. But again, we are not complaining. Thanks for the inquiry.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our men and women's soccer teams started practice late in August. We knew when they'd start, and as soon as we had some rain in August, we aerated their fields. I don't think its ever too early to aerate as long as your moisture levels and temperatures cooperate. In your case, I would say that if those 2 things are good, you could start to aerate as soon as you catch up on your mowing.