Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Member

How to find out codes or requirements in states?

I have been reading through several hardscaping posts and a lot of people criticize other peoples work, because their not up to codes. How do you find out the codes that a certain wall or project have to be?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The ultimate answer is to go to the municipality you are working in and talk to the inspector. They will have information available as well as public libraries. I get my stuff off an website that publishes the books. In general the state adopts and twists what portions of the international code they want and makes it law. There are a few problems with internet code bashing. First codes are different everywhere, mostly similar, but different. Second the majority of landscaping does not require actual inspections so most contractors do not bother to learn them.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most counties will have all their codes on their website. Usually you'll have to do a little internet searching to find it. Usually through their Dept of Permits & Inspections. Or some places call it Dept of Permits and Licenses.

While codes could vary from town to town and county to county - most municipalities do adopt their codes from some national building code thing-a-m-jigger. An example - we did a demo job in the City of Alexanderia, VA. We had some codes to comply with. And their codes do infact derive from this national building code thing-a-m-jigger. Kinda like DOT laws, most states adopt the Federal DOT laws.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.constructionbook.com/building-codes/

Last time I did a curved deck, I had to show tables from the Virginia Construction Code, which I'm pretty sure is based on the International Building Code. Even if you're not getting something inspected it's worth building it to code. While codes are a PITA in a lot of cases, you can't ignore safety. How many patios do you see on this site with drop-offs and no rail, or long sets of steps and no hand rail? When your client goes to sell their home there's a good possibility the buyer's inspector is going to flag that, and you go from hero to zero in 2 seconds.