Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

move dirt fast?

some of you know that little project of digging a hole for a swamp i have started, well i have a quick question. i was planing on using a 160 to dig and pile the dirt and then use my 332 and the kodiak to haul the dirt the 300 yards to the stock pile. does that sound some what effecient?

i was then thinking about renting a 966 or 744 loader to haul the dirt because it should do it way faster then my kodiak, plus my old girl wont have to work so hard.

then....... i was thinking why not just dig the hole with the 966 to? why move it twice?

the loader should dig it kind of easy in the hard clay right? i figure use a tooth bucket.

what one would you do?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd use one machine to do it all if it was me. If it's only 300 yards you can cover that ground fairly quickly in a loader and a kodiak doesn't hold much material anyways.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it will be about 3,000 yards. before i was looking at 2,000 but we are going to go a bit larger.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i can haul about 8 or 9 yards in the kodaik per haul. and i have a big bucket on my ct332 so i can load it super fast
Old 08-27-2008, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

A dump truck is the quickest way to move the material if you direct load from excavator to dump truck truck goes dumps the load while your scraping and raking the material back. A tandem axle would be better so you can atleast put 16 yards into it. Like I said before you can always get the hole dug and the material bailed to the outside. After the hole is dug then you can move the material at a less hurried pase.

A wheel loader needs good conditions to work in start getting in soft ground or uneven ground not good.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Loaders are terribly slow at loading a bucket of virgin soil. Watching paint dry is faster, tooth bucket or not. It can be done, but it's just not efficient enough. Even then, on ground that isn't packed very hard, you'll spin the tires a hell of alot trying to get that bucket full. It would be very frustrating and time consuming, not to mention expensive on the fuel. We ran a 744H at the grounds and after a whole day of running it I think we averaged about 40 gallons in an 8 hour day. I will commend you for trying to do everything with one machine, but I think hogging it out with an excavator and using the loader to move it from the hole to the dump site is a good option.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 08-27-2008, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
Loaders are terribly slow at loading a bucket of virgin soil. Watching paint dry is faster, tooth bucket or not. It can be done, but it's just not efficient enough. Even then, on ground that isn't packed very hard, you'll spin the tires a hell of alot trying to get that bucket full. It would be very frustrating and time consuming, not to mention expensive on the fuel. We ran a 744H at the grounds and after a whole day of running it I think we averaged about 40 gallons in an 8 hour day. I will commend you for trying to do everything with one machine, but I think hogging it out with an excavator and using the loader to move it from the hole to the dump site is a good option.
thank you very much for that, you speak from experience so i will do as you say and use two machines.

i was just trying to cut cost and save $, i can rent a 966 for $2,000 for a week, i dont believe it will take that long but thats what it costs. if i use the dump and ctl i will save that 2g's
Old 08-27-2008, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

But remember that 2g's could end up being spent on time because it took an extra week which would be money your putting out. or the 2g's could go to parts on the kodiak which could break on the second load and then you would have to rent the 966 pay 2 grand and then spend another 2 grand or more on parts for your truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlm335 View Post
But remember that 2g's could end up being spent on time because it took an extra week which would be money your putting out. or the 2g's could go to parts on the kodiak which could break on the second load and then you would have to rent the 966 pay 2 grand and then spend another 2 grand or more on parts for your truck.
you are very right, thats what im thinking about. i would rather get it done and get on i have enough to do.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I understand you're trying to watch the costs. I'd say if you have time to do it with your truck and Deere, I'd go that route. Like I said, it could be done with a loader, but I think you'd almost be faster with your machine. You gotta figure a 5 yard bucket on a 966 would be a real bear to load trying to dig into virgin soil. The loader will never load that bucket making a cut in one swipe, it just won't do it. You'll lose traction. You would have to make one swipe, fill it a good portion of the way, roll back, then take another bite. By this time, you could've had your rig loaded up with 9 yards of material and gone by the time you screwed around trying to get 5 into that bucket. At least that's how I see it, especially if you're saying that 200 was having a hard time getting into that material, a loader would have one hell of a time.

The only other thing I'm trying to figure out is where you're going to put this dirt. You say you're going to hog it with a 160, you'll never reach the pile from everywhere. I almost think a dozer would be better for moving all that dirt into one pile. Even then, you almost need another person hauling the dirt off to the dump site.

Go hard, go fast, or go home