Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2008, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Issues with Exmark Lazer HP Triton deck

Does anyone run the new Triton deck with full mulch kit in southern grass areas? I have the 56" deck with 23kawi. Mower bogs down like MAD in Zoyzia and Bermudia when its thick. Will NOT allow a single pass cut. I have to double cut each of these yards due to clumps of clippings left piled up. I'm curious if the mulch blades have too much lift and is keeping clippings in the deck too long and causing bogging down of the motor to cleanly put the clippings under the grass.

Any input from you guys will help. Mower is less than month old and replace my 52 HP that had the Ultracut deck when it was stolen end of July. Ultracut deck with full mulch kit would fly over single pass almost 3/4-1/2 speed no problem and leave clean cut. No way now with this mower with deeper deck and 4"inches wider.

Scot
Old 08-28-2008, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There have been problems with the triton deck for as long as I can remember. It has got more complaints from people than any other deck. The ultra cut seems to be better than the triton. Though I have heard some success stories with the triton but I think they were in the north part of the country.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 08-28-2008, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

A guy at my local dealership told me yesterday that Exmark was going back to the ultra-cut deck next year. I'm not sure whether to believe him or not, it's just what he said. Has anyone else heard this?

04 Toyota Tacoma
05 5x10 trailer
04 Exmark Lazer Z 60" Ultra-cut
91 Lawn Boy S21ESR commercial
06 Husqvarna 125L trimmer
08 Husqvarna 326ES stick edger
06 Husqvarna 145BT backpack blower
06 Maruyama EHT23DS hedge trimmers
06 Fabworks OEM trimmer rack
Old 08-28-2008, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for the info. sounds like i may be screwed on this deck.

if anyone is having better luck with another mulch blade or blade setup and this deck and mulch kit, let me know.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I was in talking to my dealer and he told me he is getting me an 09 to try out which has the ultra-cut deck with the heavier triton spindles. I will get back on and tell everyone how I think the new combination works. I have been a big supporter of the triton until this year. There has been so much moisture that the extra pieces under the triton deck fill up with stuck grass and spit out big nasty chunks. The only way that I have been able to minimize this problem is to clean the grass out from under my deck every morning and sometimes more than once a day, depending on how wet. I do not use full mulch kits but I do use an OCDC and this seems to do a better job. I hope you find something to make your deck perform better.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 23/50 Triton. Runs fine in St. Augustine and Bermuda. Only have 2 lawns with Zoyzia so I really can comment on those. I think your biggest problem is that it's slightly underpowered. I had a 27/50 that had plenty of power but, the engine went south. I miss those 4 extra horsepower at times. If you aren't using Exmark's wavy mulch blades, I would suggest that you purchase some.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I'm using exmark mulch blades and from my rep, they are the latest blades with lower lift.

i'm going to do some deck rake checking and i'll keep you guys posted. Also mentioned that I thought the 56 triton needed a 25Kawi on it. 27 koh is an ok moter but to me kohler motors don't have the torque like kawi's in the heavy stuff.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I run the 31/60 triton and will never go to a smaller engine, this has only caused me problems in the past and with the larger engine usually not running hard it gets close to the same gas mileage.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotlawncare View Post
Thanks guys. I'm using exmark mulch blades and from my rep, they are the latest blades with lower lift.

i'm going to do some deck rake checking and i'll keep you guys posted. Also mentioned that I thought the 56 triton needed a 25Kawi on it. 27 koh is an ok moter but to me kohler motors don't have the torque like kawi's in the heavy stuff.
My first thought was deck rake also. I've had mowers set up wrong that bogged quickly. Also, at some point power/torque does matter and you might be a little light in that area, especially if the deck/blade design demands more than in past designs.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When the bermuda is thick and long, bogging is guaranteed with any mulcher. My 757 JD cuts beautiful on well fertilized bermuda after 4 or 5 days growth in mid summer, but bogs like crazy after the grass has grown 7 days. 7 day cutting intervals during spring and late summer aren't a problem.

People who cut bermuda high probably never experience this bogging because the turf is much thinner.